Datsun 210 1.4 liter?

Any topics pertaining to engine transplants (non-BMC powerplants). If you've dropped a big-block in your bugeye, this is the forum for you.

Datsun 210 1.4 liter?

Postby liamof » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:08 am

This is one where I really could use some input.
I have been casually looking for a a decent datsun 210 5 speed transmission when I came across this deal. It is a 1980 datsun 210 car with a five speed tranny and a 1.4 liter engine with only 60k miles on it all for only $400. The first few questions are of course is it really worth it?, will it fit?, is it a better deal in the long run?, and how does it compare to the 1275? The concept is ,of course, the adapter plate headach goes away, the adapter for the drive shaft is still required, and I have to deal with the front motor mounts to see if I can figure out how to adapt them. I figure since this seems to be the popular transmission choice someone along the way must have tried to squeeze the engine in too. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Liam
1960 bugeye project
1957 MGA daily driver
liamof
948cc

Postby mg freak » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:02 am

According to Ice Cube (circa NWA era), you might be construed as an object of ridicule for associating with the "B210". Just kidding...
1962 MG Midget
mg freak
948cc

Postby Bill Masquelier » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:33 pm

The A-14 (or -12,-13,-15) engines are great but really tall. They fit fine in a Morris Minor but are a really tight fit in the Spridget. A hood scoop might help.
Bill
69 Sprite MkIV
Bill Masquelier
1098cc

Datsun 210 is a great fit!

Postby Perry » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:01 am

The Datsun A series engine is a great setup for a Sprite.
I have a friend who races a Bugeye with a built up Datsun A12.
Not only the is motor a great fit, but it looks it belongs in the car.
The A14 is the same motor with a largee bore, so I know it will fit.
Also, the Datsun motor is significantly lighter.
Don't worry about ridicule, the A14 won't leak any oil all over the place!

However, there are a couple of things you need to know.
Along with frabricating some motor mounts, you will have to modify either the cross member or the oil pan. Dave chose the cross member.
You can also push the motor back, but that means you will have to modify the heater stuff.

I'll see if I can my friend to get some picture posted.
His car does so well in this configuration, I acquired a Datsun motor and trans for my Bugeye!

I wish I knew how to stick a picture in this, I would send one of my two engines side by side.

Have fun!
par_61_squarebody
Perry
Pit Crew

Postby D.Valentino » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:22 am

I wish I knew how to stick a picture in this, I would send one of my two engines side by side.

Perry, PM Dan for a username & password, for uploading photos. Then you will be able to load pictures.
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Postby trevor » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:20 am

A number of people have done the datsun motor conversion. You might want to investigate the relative availability of tuning parts if that is of interest to you.
trevor
1275cc

Postby liamof » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:33 am

Wow, Thanks for all the input.
I would love to see that modification to the cross member. I can't wait to see your photos of your friends conversion. For a me a hood scoop would be a deal breaker since I really like the stock look. Its great that the datsun engine can fit under the bonnet. :D
Liam
1960 bugeye project
1957 MGA daily driver
liamof
948cc

Datsun motor pics

Postby Perry » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:41 pm

I double checked the height of the Datsun motor.
If anything it's shorter. However, I know the L series is taller because of the overhead cam.

Anyway, I'll get those pictures from my friends race car tomorrow night.
I'm going over there to install a new wire harness in his regular Bugeye.

Also, I do have an account for posting pictures.
I just don't know how to stick them in a reply like this.
My '61 square body is in the gallery now.
It's the Iris blue one.

I may start in on my '59 Bugeye this winter.
It's going to be a bit modified.

"You can't have only one!" -- my wife :)
par_61_squarebody
Perry
Pit Crew

Datsun A12

Postby Perry » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:59 pm

Liam

I just posted a picture of an A12 and 1275 next to each other.
Just look for the Iris blue 61 Squarebody.
I think it is on the second page of the gallery.
The picture is in the second page of my pictures.

Notice just how similar they are.
Being a motor guy myself I can tell you for sure that the Datsun is a sturdy little motor. (Not that the 1275 isn't its actually a very sturdy motor)
Just a little bit of info, the A12, 14, 15 have five main bearings for the crank.

Perry
par_61_squarebody
Perry
Pit Crew

Postby D.Valentino » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:08 am

Here you go Perry
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Motor picture

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:55 am

Thanks for putting that picture in the message.

You can see how similar the two motor and transmissions are.
The Datsun is closer in the picture, so it looks bigger.
But, they really are about the same size.

I'll try to get over to my friends tonight to get some good pics of the motor mounts and cross member mods.

Later
Perry
par_61_squarebody
Perry
Pit Crew

Postby Bill Masquelier » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:41 pm

I don't know what I was measuring but when I tried to lower an A14 engine into my compartment it SEEMED taller? and it's been a while since I've had one to measure.
On the other web someone was talking about using the 1500 Spridget radiator shroud to put the radiator further forward, might help.
Bill
69 Sprite MkIV
Bill Masquelier
1098cc

A14

Postby Darryl S » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:49 pm

I had an A14 with a Datsun 5 speed in my Midget. My dad built the car but he put twin Mikuni carbs on it. The stock carb will hit the hood. The Mikunis were way to much for the stock A14 but you can run over 100mph in 5th gear and she still has a lot left. He cut out part of the battery box and had to make new duct work. He moved the battery to the trunk and moved the 1500 heater back where the battery would normally sit. The heater fan was moved to the passenger side and turn up. A hole was cut in the passenger top footwell for the blower motor to fit through. He used the Midget Alternator but moved it to the drivers side of the engine. He had to cut the front cross member about an 1 inch for the oil pan to set down properly. He used the stock Nissan motor mounts but they were back a bit from where the stock Midget engine mounts. He cut the cross member where the transmission goes but put a piece of angle iron under the bottom of the car to retain the strength. He took a cross flow radiator and had a radiator shop switch sides on the radiator openings go actually match how a 948 radiator would be. The fan would hit the radiator so he put an electric fan on the front of radiator. I could never get it to idle below 1500 rpm. Less the 85 degrees it would run fine but in stop and go traffic on warm summer days, it would overheat. I pulled it out and am putting a 1275 in it. Dad has the engine, trany and mounts and is going to put it in another 1500. I can give you his number and email in a private message if your interested.
Darryl S.
SCCA GP 1965 Sprite
SCCA Solo II 1975 Midget
1970 Midget
1960 Bugeye
1979 Midget
Darryl S
948cc

I've done the Datsun A-series swap...

Postby didget69 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:31 pm

No front crossmember mods necessary, no oilpan mods necessary - trimmed & mod'd battery tray & trans crossmember -

My '69 Midget had damaged trans crossmember, so I cut it out. Closed in and boxed off the tunnel for strength, then made new trans crossmember.
Used A15 Datsun 210 motor, .040 overbore pistons, total long-block was reman'd - 5 speed Type 60 210gearbox - shifter dropped right into stock tunnel hole, with slot notch cut at rear of tunnel for clearance.

Fab'd header from modified Ansa/Monza header I bought locally; fabbed flat four-into one collector - intake was custom TIG'd combination of Datsun 210/MGB intakes & ran pair of 1 1/2" SU's - Radiator was custom recored three row vertical flow early Spridget & used Subaru electric cooling fan; car cooled very well - only mod I made was to cutout battery tray (was rusted out anyway) then made new modified shelf from NOS tray & mod'd air plenum. If I think about it for awhile, I could fill in the rest of the details, like the remote oil filter solution, etc...

Car was rear-ended & totaled; engine went to another project ('62 Sunbeam Alpine), but I still have the radiator, barely used 1 year -

If I can be of assistance on a swap, feel free to email me - determined2win@hotmail.com - still have some conversion pics around here somewhere... home - 919/875-1509

regards,

Bryan in NC
didget69
Pit Crew

Return to Lumps