Glass for hardtop?

Questions on what fits, originality, restoration? Check out this forum!

Glass for hardtop?

Postby SteveC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:21 pm

I have a chance to buy a factory Bugeye hardtop. The rub is that it's missing the rear glass. It's also missing the latches and seals. Other than that it looks useable. Where can I get the glass etc and what will it cost????
'59 Bugeye
SteveC
948cc

Re: Glass for hardtop?

Postby dan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 pm

I think that's one of the trickiest parts to source. The glass is very curved (and would be tricky to fabricate). As for the latches, you'd really need an existing set to have some duplicated (and again, likely fairly pricey).

Still...if the price for the hardtop is right...might be worth picking up.
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby SteveC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:31 am

In response to my own question, this is what I've found. Nobody makes the glass. BUT- AH Spares sells a perspex window that should fit. (they make the window oversize so it needs to be ground to fit...)I think with the current exchange rate it's about $120 plus shipping. :|
'59 Bugeye
SteveC
948cc

Postby dan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Do they sell the weatherstrip seal as well? (Not sure I know anyone currently selling that...)
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby hpsprite2 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:17 pm

This is my first post, but having faced the same problem recently, I figured I should chime in.

My hardtop came with a piece of very foggy plexiglass installed, and I couldn't find anyone who could sell me a replacement. The folks who seemed to sell them in the UK were not responsive to email, so I decided to try to make the rear window myself out of Lexan. Having the old plexiglass for a pattern was invaluable.

The most important part of this is really the rear window seal. This is what allows you to shape the glass appropriately. If you plan on making a piece of glass yourself, make sure you get a new seal from MacGregor. The seal comes in two parts - the moulding that fits around the window opening, and another "packing" piece that fits into a slot in the moulding and sandwiches the moulding around the glass. From my experience, it is essential to start with new rubber.

From there, get 1/8" Lexan. Anything thicker than this will not bend well without heat. Having experimented with heat, I would not recommend it - the lexan warps easily and distorts the view out the window. Also, keep the protective paper on the lexan until you are done. Cut the lexan so it is just smaller than the window opening. Without an old piece of glass you are at a disadvantage, but I think you could use a piece of maisonite to make a pattern. Alternatively, I could make one from paper for you that would get you close.

Once you have cut the lexan to shape, the next step is placing it into the rubber moulding and insert the packing strip all the way around. This is easier said than done. My strategy was to cut the packing strip into pieces. I installed the packing strip in the moulding along the bottom edge of the window, then along the top edge, leaving the corners on both sides for last. Once the bottom and top edges are done, you can clamp the edges into place (thus creating the appropriate bend on either side), and install the remainder of the packing strip.

It took me a lot of trial and error, but the result was really good. If you decide to buy the top, I would be happy to send you a paper outline of the window shape if you want to try this. Good luck.

Dave
hpsprite2
Pit Crew

Postby dan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:25 am

Do you have a source (maybe a website?) for the MacGregor seal? Would love to pick up a spare...
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby hpsprite2 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:30 am

http://www.macgregorukcarparts.com

I don't believe you can order via the website, and the prices are slightly outdated. I called the proprietor a few months back to ask questions and get prices. He is a very helpful and friendly guy, and the trim pieces are first rate. Since he is a one man show, it might take a few calls to get in touch with him. Good luck.
hpsprite2
Pit Crew

Postby dan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks--he's got a lot of goodies there...will have to check it out.
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby KenR » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:23 pm

The Macgregor rear window seal is now a single piece, with built in lockstrip. Looks good, but I haven't installed it yet...
-Ken
KenR
948cc

Postby davidlow » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:00 am

I ran into this problem. I found a Speed Boat windscreen repairer. He made me a new lexan screen using the old one as a template, and heat treated it, to put in the curve. I bought the rubber from a rubber supplier, and this has the extra groove in it for the beading. But it is very hard to fit, and so far has won the war. However a mate has told of a windscreen fitter that will come to my home and fit it for $50.00 Aus. I am not happy with my original spray job, so I am going to re do it then have the screen fitted.
davidlow
Pit Crew

Return to Hardtops