[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - My starter stopped!

My starter stopped!

Have a Lucas question?

My starter stopped!

Postby mmetroka » Tue May 08, 2007 6:50 pm

Though I havn't started the '66 for a couple of months, it was last running. I have been waiting to get the brakes finished to take her on her maiden voyage. Brakes finished.
Now, when I turn the key, the starter does nothing. Initially it sounds like its getting juice but won't turn over.
In Feb I put new ignition switch (see separate forum for that) and everything was running after carb rebuuild.
I'm just not sure what to troubleshoot first.
Battery is fully charged and I switched out brand new battery from my MGB and the same thing happens. New battery continues to work fine in MGB.

Thanks Guys,

Mike
66 Sprite
78 MGB
mmetroka
948cc

Postby trevor » Tue May 08, 2007 7:13 pm

Did you check your ground strap and all battery/starter/solenoid connections for corrosion?
trevor
1275cc

Postby mmetroka » Tue May 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Trevor,

All of those connections look clean.

Is there a way I can use a screw driver at the solenoid to check the starter or to rule out ignition switch?

Thanks,

Mike
66 Sprite
78 MGB
mmetroka
948cc

Postby trevor » Tue May 08, 2007 9:02 pm

I would still take the connections loose and clean them to be sure. You can also "jump" across the solenoid, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

The first step is to make sure all the connections are good (including the cable that grounds the engine to the body tub)
trevor
1275cc

Postby mmetroka » Tue May 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Or, can I run a piece of wire, to use as a jumper, from the battery to one side of the solenoid to rule out potential problems?

Thank again,
Mike
66 Sprite
78 MGB
mmetroka
948cc

Postby trevor » Tue May 08, 2007 9:09 pm

If the posts are side by side you can use a screw driver. Do not try to jump across it with light gauge jumper wire.
trevor
1275cc

Postby 60Bugger » Tue May 08, 2007 9:39 pm

sometimes the starter gets half engaged from a weak batt and won't turn over. On the end of the starter there is a cover. Remove it and you can manually back out the drive gear. It's spring loaded so just turn the shaft counterclockwise. It should pop.
60Bugger
948cc

starter

Postby Bill Masquelier » Wed May 09, 2007 2:11 pm

69 Sprite MkIV
Bill Masquelier
1098cc

Postby mmetroka » Wed May 09, 2007 8:28 pm

66 Sprite
78 MGB
mmetroka
948cc