Frogeye fibreglass

This forum is for topics pertaining to Spridgets in general (and not any specific model). If you're not sure where to post a question, this is the place.

Frogeye fibreglass

Postby john and my dog jake » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:47 am

hi,
I am about to order a Frogeye fibreglass rear with the front a little later, to graft onto my 71 sprite.
Have any other members had a go and found any problems.
I'm thinking of the different doors and the hood fastenings or anything I haven't thought of.
thanks
john & Jake
john and my dog jake
Pit Crew

Bugeye fiberglass Rear

Postby whitephrog » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:30 am

John

May consider a fiberglass rear in my Bugeye reconstruction project. Can you give me details of your piece. Source, quality, ease of installation, etc. Any pictures?
whitephrog
1098cc

Postby trevor » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:05 am

spridgetech can make a frog rear tub, but I do not know anything else about them.
trevor
1275cc

Bugeye Rear

Postby Jim Gruber » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:58 pm

John,

Save a whole lot of grief and just stick with a Bugeye Bonnet. You get all of the looks as if it were a real Bugeye and other than the purists and people who know LBC's they don't know the difference. Changing the front end over to accept a Bugeye bonnet is as simple as trimming a 3/4" lip off of the edge of the outer fender well, adding the correct mounting pads to support the bonnet, and doing a quick disconnect for the headlamp and turn signal wiring harness. I built a front hinge set from plans I found so I'll have easier access to the engine compartment and I will latch at the bottom back corner of the bonnet. The whole process is simple and straight forward and will actually add value to the car.

Grafting on a Bugeye rear, well one I'd miss the trunk to throw tonneau in, spare tire, and all of the other crap you haul around and want to keep out of site. Yes the Bugeye rear is quite cute but I was able to adapt Bugeye Bumperettes to the stock mounting brackets and it looks quite nice.

Save yourself the time and expense of the rear end. Between a Fibrerglass bonnet at $900 and probably the same for a fiberglass rear, that's money I'd put towards a Bugeye Project. If you truly want a Bugeye find yourself a project one and transplant motor, tranny, rear end, disc brakes and all of the more modern dreature comforts and you'll end up with something that is worth something when you are done.

BTW- I do have a set up Bugeye Bonnet hood support sliders sitting in my garage that are available for a rear hinged Bugeye Bonnet. Price will be right.

I'm working of restoring a metal Bugeye bonnet as we speak. Needs some metal welded back in spots and some new bondo and sandblasting but I'll end up with a nice addition to my '68 Sprite Bugsy when I'm done.
Jim Gruber
Dayton, OH
Bugsy - 68 Sprite
Bugeye in Disguise
Jim Gruber
1098cc

Frog/bugeye conversion

Postby john and my dog jake » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:00 pm

hi,
thanks to you all for your advice.
I have obtained a Frog rear end from

http://www.smithanddeakin.co.uk/L-S.htm
The quality is excellent and heavy enough for road use, very pleased with the fit and the look.
I have also bought a used front off Ebay for £25.
Managed to get hold of two good Frogeye doors as well.
I will post some pics when a little more progress is made.
I have seen a couple of cars in the uk with a frog front and standard rear and to my eyes they look unfinished but as you say in general they work.
thanks

john & Jake
john and my dog jake
Pit Crew

Postby garyfrogeye » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi John
I was actually at Smith and Deakin's place yesterday, collecting a friends one piece Midget front.
Peter is a delightful guy who is a true enthusiast. I can concur that his work is of a very high quality indeed.
You should see the carbon fibre racing stuff that he's made.
When you get there the first thing he does is put the kettle on.
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
http://frogeye.smugmug.com/
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Return to General Spridget Topics