hub cap removal lever

This forum is for topics pertaining to Spridgets in general (and not any specific model). If you're not sure where to post a question, this is the place.

hub cap removal lever

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:33 pm

When I bought my Midget back in 1964, it had a tool bag. One of them, I found out was a hub cap removal lever. At the time I had no need for it since I had the Mercury full wheel disks, that screwed on to an adapter in the wheel rim. I did find a use for it - it was a perfect tool for screwing down the bolts/screws that attach the side windows (it is actually what I initially thought the tool was for). I kept it in the driver's side door pocket. Some ****** stole the tool and a cap from the side pocket. I have been looking off and on for years for another of these levers. When I saw them at flea markets, the sellers wanted to sell the entire set, not piece it out.
I was looking for tools at Moss and I found the tool I was looking for with wheels and tires. Btw, this tool was found in the tool kits of a number of cars, Big Healeys, MGAs, early Spridgets, Morris Minors, and others. There was a tool # and I ordered it with some other things I needed. What I got back looked nothing like the tool I want. The part # was correct, but that was all. I contacted Moss and they informed me that was what they had and sent me a photo of the tool, which again looked nothing like the photo of the part I wanted. I had never seen that photo before, and of course if I did I wouldn't have ordered it. I told them that they misrepresented the part. It is going back. I am on another search for this tool and I have 2 part #s for it now - 31G 957, and 11H1051. The moss # is 386-080, which has no resemblance to the original, and it looks like if you were to use it to remove hubcaps, it would take the paint off the wheel, and there is a hook on the end. It wouldn't work too well for the side window screws either. If anyone knows where to find one of these original levers, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance.
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Re: hub cap removal lever

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:43 pm

This link might have the part ??

Click-on "View parts illustration", too. https://www.angloparts.com/en/catalogues/group/3883

Have you checked with Victoria British, part # 9-9026 ?

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby HP Spridget #53 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:00 am

Russ,

Is this what you are looking for?

http://cambridgemotorsport.es/producto. ... ucto=15624
Tim Hollister
HolliTech Team Racing
Waterford, MI
HP Spridget #53
948cc

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Testing
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks, Tim and Charlie, I replied to you, but the replies seem to have disappeared . I went to the links. Tim's link had the same tool thst Moss does, the incorrect repro. Charlie's had a link that had no illustration and the part number at VB didn't come up, so I checked their wheel tools and there was no such tool there . Thanks for your help, I will keep searching. Russ
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:58 am

Click on the link in my previous message.
When it loads, click on "View parts illustration", near the top of the page.
The hub cap tool is number 27 in the illustration.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 pm

It works! That is the exact part I used to have. But the Moss drawing showed the same tool and what I got was that thing that looks nothing like the illustrations. Is there a way to email your source and verify ? Russ
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:31 am

At the bottom of their page, click on "Contact", and a new page will
appear. Fill-in some information, and send the message to the vendor.
They should reply to your included e-mail address.

CT
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to General Spridget Topics