MK II,,MK III ?

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the Mk III/Mk II variants.

MK II,,MK III ?

Postby Alans 66 Sprite » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:11 pm

I just picked up a 66 Sprite. It looks like quite a few people have had a go at it over its life. I am trying to determin just what it is as far as MK II or MK III . It has the 1098 engine with the twin brake/clutch master cylinder and it looks like positive ground. It has disc brakes on the front .
Is there a way to be sure waht it is ?

Some one stuck on a Weber 32/36 carb on it and it was not on very well , I could wiggle it up and down. In fact most items on it are lose. Plugs , distributer almost everything was only sort of snugged up but not tight.
I also was wondering if anyone has had any experiance with teh 32/36 weber and is it any better that the priginal su's
Alans 66 Sprite
Pit Crew

Re: MK II,,MK III ?

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:15 am

Mk II Sprites were made in 1962-63, and Mk III in 1965-66.
The 1098cc engine is correct for both.
The Mk II had side curtains, and the Mk III had roll-up windows.

Check your chassis plate numbers.

CT
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:24 am

Oops !

Square body Mk II Sprites with an original 1098 engine: 1963-64. Side curtains.

Mk III 1965-66 Sprites had roll-up windows.

CT
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Alans 66 Sprite » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:29 am

Ah Ha,, thank you. Yes this one has roll up widows. The vin plate on the frame has been baddly damaged but I can make out some of the numbers. Looks like some one scraped it off with a sharp knife to remove crud and in doing so really buggered it up.
It will be a fun project .
I know it has been owned by some not so handy persons. At some point they installed a radio in the wall between the trunk and passenger area. The positive ground must have confused them so they installed a separate car battery in the trunk just for the radio. I guess they had to charge it at home then go for a ride. Wow.
Alans 66 Sprite
Pit Crew

Return to MK III Sprite (MK II Midget)