[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - 1965 Midget restoration

1965 Midget restoration

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the Mk III/Mk II variants.

1965 Midget restoration

Postby merryck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 am

I recently came into the ownership of a 1965 Midget. It has almost mint bodywork, and was part way through a restoration when it was sold, but it hasn't run since 1985. It's a rolling shell.

I've never really worked with anything other than a Mini before, so I'm a little bit lost! My Haynes manual is in the post at the moment, but I was looking for a little advice from you guys as to what to do with it.

It has wire wheels and I'd like to keep it relatively standard. That said, it will be driven by my sisters so I'd like it to have some decent brakes. What kind of upgrades/improvements are recommended on Midgets? Are there any bits that I should take a particular look at? I also wanted to have a bit of a play with the engine, I was thinking a 295 head, pocketed block and a Kent 266 cam. It has the standard twin carb setup, I'll be getting custom needles made when it's on the road.

Currently my list of things missing is as follows;

Interior (only has a dashboard and steering wheel)
Radiator
Exhaust

My list of planned upgrades;

Engine as above
Bigger than standard exhaust
Bigger brakes

List of things in boxes;

All brakes
All wiring
Roof
All brightwork
Three (?!) extra carbs

If you had this project, what would you do with it? I don't want to have to put it back in the garage in a years time and do it all again.

And now for some photos;

merryck
Pit Crew

Re: 1965 Midget restoration

Postby hoggie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Does it still have the original 1098 motor?

Body looks very nice.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby merryck » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Yeah, it still has the original 1098cc, but I'm not sure I'll keep it completely standard.
merryck
Pit Crew

Postby hoggie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:29 am

The 1275 motor is the typical upgrade if your looking to bump the engine up a bit. If the body is in good shape as it appears, I would want to get all the running gear in good shape so I could enjoy the car. If the 1098 needs an overhaul, then you might look for a good 1275 to replace it. You shouldn't have any problems finding whatever parts you are missing.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby admin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:05 pm

If you are comfortable with a Mini you will feel right at home! :D

Welcome to Spritespot!
admin
Site Admin

Postby pacomb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello,

You can download the correct owners manual and worksshop manual for the midget 2-sprite 3 at my blog:
www.ahsprite-mk3-restoration.blogspot.com

My 65 sprite has the same blue riviera colour, very nice. Please post photos and comments of your restoration.
pacomb
Pit Crew

Return to MK III Sprite (MK II Midget)