1965 Sprite Restoration Question

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the Mk III/Mk II variants.

1965 Sprite Restoration Question

Postby nemc55 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello,
I am just about ready to send off my 1965 Austin Healey Sprite to get restored. All body work and paint will be done by a local body shop. All motor work will be done by a separate local mechanic. My father and I will be doing some of the work on the frame(cleaning it up, repainting it). I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question. We were wondering if it would be easier/better to take the body off and take it to the body shop or to take the engine/transmission out to take to the mechanic? We were thinking of taking the body off leaving the engine on the chassis so we could work on the frame and then get it over to the mechanic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
nemc55
Pit Crew

Re: 1965 Sprite Restoration Question

Postby 68sprite » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:44 pm

I recently did a 68 sprite and I would always take the motor out and take it to the mechanic/engine shop.With the engine out you can see all the stuff that needs to be cleaned up and replaced in a 50 year old car.I do my own motors and clutch work so its not a big deal for me.lots of seals and rubber that certainly needs to be replaced.Lever action shocks will probably be worn out if previous owner didnt deal with that-new shocks will make it feel like a new car. NOS Imports in Wisconsin is a great place to do business with on the shocks,send them your old one and they send you a set of better than original shocks. If its possible try to find a local Austin Healey Club that can offer you some uncalcuable hints and help with your project. If this motor has the original HS2 SU carbs find someone that is savvy on these carbs,throttle shaft issues and vacuum leaks really show up on these cars if they are not cared for over the years. Good luck and have fun-they are fun little cars
68sprite
948cc

Re: 1965 Sprite Restoration Question

Postby hpmowog » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:08 am

It's a unibody. You can't take the body off the frame because there is no frame.
Karl Keiger
'62 Sprite
'60 Bugeye - Vintage Race Project
'65 Innocenti S - Vintage Race Project
hpmowog
948cc

Return to MK III Sprite (MK II Midget)