[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - 1966 Sprite cluch problem

1966 Sprite cluch problem

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the Mk III/Mk II variants.

1966 Sprite cluch problem

Postby HotRodJosh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:35 pm

I am new to the site. I am restoring a 1966 Sprite.

I rebuilt the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. New line installed. The clutch worked for awhile in the driveway moving it in and out of the garage. I took the car for its first ride last weekend. 2 blocks and back to the house. Everything worked fine. I shut it off for a bit then went to pull it back in the garage. As I Shifted into reverse, the car started moving before I let out the clutch. The fluid pushed back into the master. It does this every time now. I can shift into gear but it wont hold pressure. I have once again tore apart the master and cleaned it all out. The check valve is installed correctly. I am at a loss. I plan to buy an new master if I can't figure this out. Thanks for any help!

Josh
HotRodJosh
Pit Crew

Re: 1966 Sprite cluch problem

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 am

The hydraulic fluid might be leaking past the seals in the clutch cylinder and/or in the master cylinder. This might happen if the seals are installed backwards on the piston(s)in the cylinder(s). I am not saying that this is the problem, but it might be.

Is there supposed to be a check valve in the clutch line ??

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Bill Masquelier » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:15 pm

No check valve in the clutch line!
When you get tired of rebuilding the mastercylinder you may want to investigate these:

http://brakecylinder.com/spridgetbrakes.htm for a rebuilt- or
http://www.bpnorthwest.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee ... get%201098 for a new

I have no financial interest in either of these but I just got tired of rebuilding mine
BillM
69 Sprite MkIV
Bill Masquelier
1098cc

Postby HotRodJosh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:05 pm

I ended up buying a master cylinder. It has solved the problem. I have out 120 miles on it since with no issues. It is a blast to drive!
HotRodJosh
Pit Crew

Postby Brian Moffet » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:47 pm

My running Sprite restoration page: http://brianssprite.blogspot.com/
Photos from my Sprite Restoration: http://www.pbase.com/moffetb/sprite_mk_iii
Brian Moffet
948cc

Return to MK III Sprite (MK II Midget)