[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Clamping exhaust manifold to cylinder head

Clamping exhaust manifold to cylinder head

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the Mk III/Mk II variants.

Clamping exhaust manifold to cylinder head

Postby lschiffb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:16 pm

I’m reassembling my 1098 MkII engine after rebuilding my cylinder head and am now ready to reattach the exhaust manifold and carburetors. There are six studs or bolts that come out from the side of the head to accommodate the manifold and carburetors. The two on each end come through corresponding holes in the manifold. The four in the middle seem to clam the manifold and carburetors to the head by way of some big heavy-duty washers, four of them by the looks of it, then two smaller ones for the end bolts. Problem is, I can’t figure out what part number this is for Moss or Victoria British. The car was beat up when I tore the head off and I only have one of each washer. Can anyone help me identity this part?

Thanks!
Lon
’65 MG Midget MkII
Lon S.
1965 MG Midget
Sandy, Utah
lschiffb
Pit Crew

Re: Clamping exhaust manifold to cylinder head

Postby hoggie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:03 am

I'm surprised to not see those thick washer listed by Moss or VB. You might need to call them.
But, I did find them listed on the Mini Mania site.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby lschiffb » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 am

Hey, there they are! Thanks! I'll call Moss. Might even swing by Napa and see if they have something that's close enough. Thanks again!

Lon
Lon S.
1965 MG Midget
Sandy, Utah
lschiffb
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 pm

You might find some "fender washers" at a hardware store, which have the correct outside diameter and bolt/stud hole diameter. They will be thinner than the Sprite washer, but perhaps stacking two or three would be acceptable.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby lschiffb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:39 pm

That's just what I did. I found some washers at Napa that we half the thickness, so I doubled them up. I figure that it will be easy enough to eye-ball them from time to time and make sure they're holding. Not too hard to replace if not.

Thanks!
Lon
Lon S.
1965 MG Midget
Sandy, Utah
lschiffb
Pit Crew

Return to MK III Sprite (MK II Midget)