What type of nuts & bolts do Sprites have?

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the Mk III/Mk II variants.

What type of nuts & bolts do Sprites have?

Postby pacomb » Wed May 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Hello all

So far, all of the classic cars I have been working on, used to have metric size bolts. Including my Mini 1974 and my Land Rover Series 1964 because both where made in Spain under license. Other cars such as my golf cabrio 1988 is german and modern, so always metric.....

But now, with my new Sprite 1965, I think most of the bolts wont be metric but imperial or other kind. I would like to get a specific set of the correct spanners I will need, so I dont damage bolt heads using metric spanners, even If I can remove them because they are not very tight.

I was thinking in something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-11PIECE-CO ... 230c4ccd57

Maybe it´s not top quality, but sure it would be ok. Am I correct with imperial, or is it any other kind??

Regards
paco
pacomb
Pit Crew

Re: What type of nuts & bolts do Sprites have?

Postby trevor » Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Most everything is imperial. You may find a few odd ball sizes on "plumbing" related fixtures. Most threads are NSF, except if threaded into aluminium. You should probably also get some pozi-drive bits
trevor
1275cc

Re: What type of nuts & bolts do Sprites have?

Postby Jim Gruber » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:22 pm

If you are about to do a complete restore here is what Frank C. recommended purchasing. A box of each from a nut and bolt shop or perhaps McMaster Carr

10-32 pan head 5/8" long
1/4 x 28 x 3/4" hex
5/16 x 24 x 1" hex
3/8 x 24 x 1.25" hex
SAE flat washers, split washers, and nuts for the above
Grade 5 is what was original.
Jim Gruber
Dayton, OH
Bugsy - 68 Sprite
Bugeye in Disguise
Jim Gruber
1098cc