Master Cylinder Cap

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

Master Cylinder Cap

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:24 pm

The leaking master cylinder cap problem has been with me for many years. The original cap was metal and you could try various gaskets in it to stop the brake fluid from leaking out of it. Over the years, the metal cap gets distorted and then nothing stops it from leaking. The metal cap is no longer made, so you have to use an "upgrade" of a plastic cap that supposedly doesn't need a gasket. I obtained an original plastic Spridget cap about a year ago, and it fits well, it tightens, and still leaks. Of course, I do not overfill the M.C. and I keep the threads clean. I decided to try a new cap from Moss to see if the age of the cap matters. The one they sent me did not fit! The cap was a repro that didn't really match the Lockheed original. The threads were off and it didn't tighten well. In fact, it unscrewed itself the day before yesterday and leaked even more. I contacted Moss and a technician got back to me, of course saying that there was nothing wrong with the caps and that they fit their master cylinders. He suggested I buy another master cylinder so the cap would fit !!??***. Also I could put some substance on the threads of the M.C. in layers and let it dry, etc so the cap would fit. The plastic lockheed original fits for crying out loud.
He said he could do no more, and they would credit my credit card for a refund. I asked if they wanted the cap back so they could examine it and he said they didn't need it ?!?!! Don't you think they would want to look at it, since it is defective? Anybody else have this cap problem (most everyone has that I know), and did you have a successful fix? I have been at it since 1964.
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Re: Master Cylinder Cap

Postby peter an5l » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Funny enough I had the problem of a leaking plastic cap on my Sprite MK 1. Good for me I have found the original metal cap ( dented , rusted and with a cork seal ) in a box. Put that one on and the leaking was cured. They are newly produced, I have one in my posession, somebody in England makes them! Try Ashley Hinton, if not him, he maybe knows the adress.

Piet
peter an5l
1098cc

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks Peter, I still have the metal cap and I will check the gaskets I have and try again. I do remember that several periods of time over the years I was able to keep the metal cap from leaking. I live in the US, and I will look to see if anyone here has the new metal caps. The plastic caps were supposed to be an "upgrade", and everyone I know has had them leak. Thanks, Russ
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Postby peter an5l » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi ccnut, maybe its leaking because the plastic cap is a 2 part thing. The top is pressed in on my example and maybe brake fluid finds its way through ? Still a miracle for me why the old metall cap let no fluid out, but some 3 plastic caps have leaked ?
send me your mail adress and I will post you the adress from where my new metal cap comes from. ( Got it from a friend , will call him for the adress )

Piet
peter an5l
1098cc

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)