New solenoid question

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

New solenoid question

Postby richocki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Just received a new starter solenoid for a 64 Sprite Mk II. It looks nothing like the one it is replacing. I ordered it from Moss Motors so I know it is the correct replacement part (546-020) for my car. I just am not sure what wire goes on what terminal? I do not want to hook it up backwards.

I garaged the Sprite 25 years ago when the solenoid and clutch slave cylinder went bad. I am now ready to work towards getting it back on the road. My first goal is to get the engine to just turn over. The cylinders have been fogged so I think a crank or two will be ok. I think the Sprite is going to need a lot due to how long it has sat but to see the engine turn over will inspire me to go on. Thanks for any help I can get.
richocki
Pit Crew

Re: New solenoid question

Postby Charlie Tolman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 am

For a 1964 Mk-II Sprite, you probably have the electrically activated starter solenoid, along with a push button switch on the dash panel.

If you have the standard positive battery ground, connect the electrical cable from the negative battery post to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. From the other large terminal on the solenoid, run a cable to the starter motor.

A small diameter wire with brown color, should be connected to the starter solenoid terminal that is common with the cable coming from the battery.
A small diameter wire, white with red markings, should be connected to the other small terminal on the solenoid.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby richocki » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks Charlie for the help. I connected as you said except for the small terminals. I only have one small terminal and one wire coming from the ignition switch. The engine did turn over. I am not ready to start it yet. I need to change the oil, purge the fuel system and change/clean the fuel filter. Thanks again for the reply.
richocki
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:00 am

The small diameter brown wire is probably not needed for the starter solenoid, since it appears to be redundant with the large diameter wire coming from the battery. This connection probably exists inside the solenoid.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)