[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Introduction

Introduction

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

Introduction

Postby Nexus131 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:12 am

Hi everyone. Soooo happy to find a Sprite forum. I am new to the AH/MG family. Bought my 62 Sprite about a month ago as a restoration project. Here's a few pics of it when I got it. Ill most likely make a build post for the progress on it. I am definitely going to be asking many of you questions since the Sprite family is all new to me.

That's my father in the pic wondering if he will get to drive it first :P
Last edited by Nexus131 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nexus131
Pit Crew

Re: Introduction

Postby peter an5l » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 pm

..and where are the pics ?
anyway, welcome to the family.

Piet
peter an5l
1098cc

Postby Nexus131 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Sorry about that. The preview showed the pics.

Heres a few pics of the progress on the interior. These pics were taken a week ago and its all sorted now. Carpets come in tomorrow and I will take more pics then.
Nexus131
Pit Crew

Postby hoggie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Not a bad looking 62. I'm surprised to see good rear fender panels. They usually have the rust issue first.
Does it have the original engine? I think the 62's had tge 1098cc motor.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures as you progress through the restoration.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby vagt6 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:54 am

Looks like a fairly solid example for a good project.

You're gonna have a lot of fun with that car. Please keep us posted on your progress, and good luck!
vagt6
948cc

Postby Nexus131 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks all. The guy before the one I bought it from, did all the body work. Will a good sanding and a little door alignment its pretty much ready to be sprayed. I am however going to probably get a new hood, and drill holes for the truck rack and side moldings. Its the original engine however the after market carb is missing parts so it wont start. The interior is the first big project for me before jumping the motor and body.
Nexus131
Pit Crew

Postby peter an5l » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Congrats to your choice !
Looks to me as an easy restoration. Buy some books ( best would be the original parts list, will show you even the last nut and bolt) and and try to find an original car near your home and make hundreds of pics, even to show you where all these bolts and nuts belong to.

Keep us informed

Piet
peter an5l
1098cc

Postby scoutll » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi, Nice looking car.
Judging from the pictures, it is a 64 or 65. The doors, windscreen, roll up windows, vent wings, dash, windscreen ect.. are all MKIII Sprite or MKII Midget. The easiest way to tell is to check and see if it has a chassis tag on the frame rail under the carbs.
A 62 would have a flat dash, no vents; no roll up windows; no door handles; a smaller, flat windscreen held on by 4 phillips heads; also, the top of the doors would curve inward slightly and flow into the dash. http://www.spritespot.com/gallery/MidgetMKI?page=2
Bryan Durham
North Dakota, USA????
scoutll
Pit Crew

Postby Nexus131 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Hmm...I googled 65 and it looks like that would match. It was advertized as a 62 though. So im guessing thats incorrect then? Was there any model 62 that had the windows and ect?

Also I did a look up on the vin. Its an HAN6 which shows its a MKII but everything you mentioned as well as Wikipedia indicated its an MKIII and should have a vin of HAN8...Now im confused.
Nexus131
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:26 am

The car appears to be a 1965 or 1966; HAN-8-xxxxx, MK-3 Sprite.
Just to the rear of the doors, the upper body opening detail indicates that it was made to be fitted with doors with roll-up windows, which began in 1965.

Does the car have quarter-elliptic rear springs (through 1964) or semi-elliptical rear springs (started in 1965) ?

The car has a Midget grille, but it does not have the Midget side trim or hood.

My 1963, HAN-7-xxxx, MK-2 Sprite, which was sold several years ago, did not have roll-up windows.

There is a strong possibility that the chassis tag has been changed.
What does the title card indicate for a model number, chassis number, or VIN ?

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)