[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Don't hate me ...

Don't hate me ...

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

Don't hate me ...

Postby TConder » Wed May 25, 2011 7:30 am

It's been slow around here for a while, not a lot of new reading material, so I thought I would jump in and try to get some discussion going.

After two years of work refreshing my '62 Sprite, in two weeks I leave on an epic driving adventure in my LBC (Little British Car). A friend and I are leaving to spend four days driving through the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina, including traveling the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and a drive on the Tail of the Dragon.

Some of the days are quite long, but I can't think of a better way to spend them than cruising along some of the best driving roads in the country. I have purchased a camera mount to attach to the car, to shoot some in car video while on the trip, so when I am too old to do this kind of thing anymore, I can look back and remember the glory days. :lol:

If you are interested, below is our (planned) route for Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4. Oh, and wish me luck and pray for sunny weather. :D

T

Day 1 Route

Day 2 Route

Day 3 Route

Day 4 Route
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 3&t=h&z=15
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite; 1965 Lincoln Continental
2008 Dodge Challenger; 2007 Honda Civic (My daily driver)
2005 Honda Odyssey (Spouse's daily driver, grocery getter, & mom taxi)
TConder
Pit Crew

Re: Don't hate me ...

Postby trevor » Wed May 25, 2011 7:46 am

Holy COW! That is a bunch of driving. I'm truly envious. I'm sure you are going to be prepared, but take a spare gallon of fuel and a CB radio. I've been on several of those roads and there are many places where cell phones do not work. Don't forget the sunscreen!
trevor
1275cc

Postby TConder » Wed May 25, 2011 9:20 am

TConder
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Wed May 25, 2011 12:57 pm

I've packed supplies/spares under the hood on top of the inner fender arches.
trevor
1275cc

Postby TConder » Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

TConder
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Wed May 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Sorry, yes... where the greasy bit lives. I added a few eye bolts so that I could keep a small collection of tools, oil, spare belt, etc. tied securely and neatly in place. I once saw someone that had a spare axle (half shaft) stored there as well.
trevor
1275cc

Postby TConder » Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 pm

TConder
Pit Crew

Postby TConder » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Once again, just to get some discussion going.

I am back from the trip through the mountains of North Carolina and Virginia ... with a brief visit into Tennessee. It wasn't without incident and it took two tries to cover the entire length of the parkway ... and I still didn't get to drive the Tail of the Dragon.

The trip was broken into two sections by a breakdown just outside of Fancy Gap, Virginia. After getting up bright and early the third day I was only one or two miles into the days journey on the Blue Ridge Parkway when I noticed a strong fuel smell and the car was way down on power. Pulling into the next overlook it didn't take long to diagnose the fuel smell ... the rear carb was pumping fuel out everywhere.

At first I thought it was split fuel line but when that repair didn't fix the problem I disassembled the carb float and ... my heart sunk as low as that float. Having no way to repair or replace the ruined float, it was time to call in the cavalry. AAA showed up with a roll back and after loading the car it was hauled the 160 miles home. Being that the car still has the original 948 engine, and the tow truck driver was making good time at 80-85 mph on the interstate, I doubt that little car has ever been so fast.

Two weeks later, float replaced, my son and I returned to the exact spot of the breakdown, and started from there to finish the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Two days later we arrived in Cherokee, North Carolina, after stopping in Boone North Carolina to spend the night.

It started raining on us while we spent the night in Boone, and didn't stop until three days later, as we left the mountains and headed home. The car didn't leak, much, but it was a constant struggle to keep the windows clear. The worst part of the rain, however, is on the Tail of the Dragon there was a devastating motorcycle accident that closed the road, forcing us to stop and turn around before we completed it's length. Oh well, maybe next year.

For all the rain we struggled through on the Parkway, the drive home was simply glorious. Coming down the mountain on North Carolina Highway 276 more than made up for any aggravations caused by the rainy weather. The speeds were low, the road was curvy, and the scenery was fantastic. If you ever have a chance to drive in this part of the country ... highly recommended. Also recommended, if you are in the area, is a little motel in the Cherokee area called the Gearhead Inn (). It is a little mom and pop motel that caters to, well, Gearheads. We stayed two nights there and found the owners exceptionally nice and helpful, plus you have the fellowship of others that don't look at you like you have three heads when you want to talk about cars.

You can find pictures and a more detailed description of the trip on my website if you want to read more about it.

I bought this car for the specific purpose to make this drive ... and it was every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Rain or not.

T
TConder
Pit Crew

Postby doan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:07 pm

David Doan
Frisco, TX

david at doanfamily.net
http://doanfamily.net/blog/

1959 Bugeye - AN5L-26655
doan
Pit Crew

Postby TConder » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:45 pm

TConder
Pit Crew

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)