[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - It's done

It's done

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

It's done

Postby TConder » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 am

Hello all,

First, let me say thank you to all the members that have been so much help … the help and advice has been much appreciated.

On June 30, 2009 I joined this community and announced that I had obtained a 1962 Sprite that I intended to refresh. As of October 13, 2010, with the installation of the new hood (top), this project is now complete.

When I obtained the LBC (Little British Car) it was complete but tired. The car had some rust repair sometime back in the 1980's, but other than that, it is basically as built. With only 84,000 miles, the paint still looked descent but was beginning to fade and the interior needed some help, but the car was rust free and mechanically sound. After a bit of engine work, adjusting the carburetor and a few minor repairs, and some brake work, the car ran strong.

The first year or so that I owned the car I spent driving, breaking, then repairing the car. The drive train is original, and though it ran well after the initial repairs and adjustments, the car had been mostly sitting for the past twenty years, and it showed. None of the failures were major, but there were a number of minor failures as the tired old parts began failing when I starting driving the car on a regular basis. A friend succinctly summed this period up with, "Drive … break … fix … repeat."

Starting in winter of 2009, the refresh began in earnest. The interior was removed from the car and the seats and fascia were sent to be reupholstered. I began polishing the aluminum and the bumpers and shift lever were sent away for new chrome. I repaired the cracks and dings in the steering wheel and repainted that. All the brackets for the seats, bumpers and other small part were stripped then repainted using a rattle can. I also began collecting replacement parts for those things that were too far gone to save.

During the summer the car was sent for paint. Originally I thought I would have the engine and engine bay painted at this time, but the expenses were adding up so I decided to not have the engine or engine bay painted. When the engine needs to be rebuilt I will have the engine and engine bay painted then. Other than that concession to price, no expense was spared on the paint. The car was completely sanded and blocked smooth before the paint was applied. The car was painted in its original signal red using PPG urethane paint and clear coat. After the application of three layers of clear, the car was wet sanded to make the paint look its best. During the painting process I also had the boot and passenger compartment covered in a beadliner material tinted to match the paint. This is the same material that I will have sprayed in the engine compartment when the time comes.

After paint, the car was fitted with new tires and a new exhaust system. I was unable to locate the period correct rubber floor mat material so new carpeting was installed along with new kick-panels. The installation of the hood on October 13 marked the end of the refresh.

I didn't refresh the car to impress anyone, but I have entered the car into two shows at the request of Jonathan, the guy who painted the car and a personal friend of mine. At the show I talk to people about the car, and when appropriate, pass out his business cards. The car has received very favorable comments from almost everyone that has looked at it. I wish I could take credit for that, but I know that it is Jonathan's paint work that really makes the car pop.

So there you have it, the thumbnail review of the restoration. I like to see pictures of the cars people are talking about, so if you want to see pictures of the car, before, after, and everywhere in between, you can see them on my website … . This my family website, full of pictures you probably won't care about, but on the right side you can select just those pictures related to the Healey. Just click on 1962 Austin-Healey Sprite.

Again, a big thank you to all those who helped make this possible.

T
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite; 1965 Lincoln Continental
2008 Dodge Challenger; 2007 Honda Civic (My daily driver)
2005 Honda Odyssey (Spouse's daily driver, grocery getter, & mom taxi)
TConder
Pit Crew

Re: It's done

Postby hoggie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Congratulations. the car looks great.

By the way, I see where you were wondering how long the plastic windows would stay clear.

I've had numerous tops on my 69 over the years. I used to be able to buy them from Sears with a 5 year warranty.
The windows would never make it to 5 years, so I used their warranty several times to get a discount replacement.
Not sure who made them for Sears, but I think a newer quality plastic would make it bit longer before starting to haze and brown out. Mine always set out in the sun all year, so if it was garaged all the time, I'm sure they would last a longer time.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby TConder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:02 am

TConder
Pit Crew

Postby vagt6 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:00 am

T, nice job on the restoration. That looks like a car you can really enjoy, and it represents another of these great cars that has been rescued to live again.

Now it's time to restore another one . .

Cheers,

Mark
vagt6
948cc

Postby TConder » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 pm

TConder
Pit Crew

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)