[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Side Curtain Dilemma

Side Curtain Dilemma

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

Side Curtain Dilemma

Postby TConder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:40 am

I am almost finished rejuvenating my 1962 Sprite. So much so that I am working on the little things, like freshening up the side curtains. I'm quite sure the side curtains I have are the originals that came with the car, but when I ordered the replacement pieces from one of the usual suspects, the parts don't look right. Therefore, I have a few questions about the side curtains, if someone who knows more about this than I can help.

After some digging about, I found that everyone has trouble with the felt, and had I read this before I purchased, I would have bought the felt from a fabric store.

What I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, though, is the replacement "glass" doesn't appear to be quite the right shape and size. I'm sure I can find someone to cut some Plexiglas or Lexan to fit, so I'm not too worried about this problem either.

What does worry me is the rubber gasket. The rubber I removed from my side curtain(s) was in three pieces, the bottom, the top and back and the angled front. The replacement piece is a one-piece unit, but what is more disturbing is the channel on the side curtain frame is too large for the replacement gasket.

So here is my question. Are there differences in the side curtains, and if there are, can anyone tell me where I might find the correct rubber seals? I have spent several hours looking for some reference to different rubber seals, but I don't find any mention of two or more different types of side curtains. All the places I have checked all say basically the same thing, that the seals fits cars from 1958 though 1964 or 948 & 1098, or some variation of that. Of course, that is what the place I bought my seals said also. I am quite stumped at the moment as what to do.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

T
Last edited by TConder on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite; 1965 Lincoln Continental
2008 Dodge Challenger; 2007 Honda Civic (My daily driver)
2005 Honda Odyssey (Spouse's daily driver, grocery getter, & mom taxi)
TConder
Pit Crew

Re: Side Curtain Dilemma

Postby trevor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:03 am

I can not answer your questions, but there were a few different size sidescreens and even some aftermarket replacement units. Do yours say "weathershield" on them?
trevor
1275cc

Postby TConder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:12 am

TConder
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:19 pm

On the frame center on the top bar inside. May have a design number under it as well.
trevor
1275cc

Postby TConder » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm

TConder
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Better make a nice storage bag to protect them.
trevor
1275cc

Postby TConder » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:08 am

TConder
Pit Crew

Postby barbatus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm trying to restore my side curtains on my 63 sprite. The frames are in good conditions and I have replaced the brackets (originals were beyond rusty) - I got new seals from Victoria British (the old ones crumbled) and a new plexiglass set for both sides- My questions is: does the frame come apart so that you can replace the plexiglass or is there some magical trick for getting the old ones out and the new ones in? I can't seem to find any directions in any of my books either? Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks guys.
barbatus
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm

trevor
1275cc

Postby barbatus » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks a million trevor ! I just can't imagine how they put these together at the factory, I was envisioning a crimping machine or something. Thanks for the link - I will do it this weekend !
barbatus
Pit Crew

Postby barbatus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Did the new seals and brackets, seems the the British Victoria plexi glass replace,nets are slightly bigger, 1/4 inch or so, I will have to trim them because they bow when inserted. FYI.
barbatus
Pit Crew

Postby rockisshell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:16 am

I always sew the bands on first, iron the seams and iron fold on the band-the desired widh iron single fold on the bottom hem,lay the panel on the table and interlining on top of it.Make sure bottom of the interlining goes to the ironed bottom line. Even all out and finish the other fold on the bottom use pins secure all together and blind sew the hem.
rockisshell
Pit Crew

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)