Replacing door hinge pins?

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

Replacing door hinge pins?

Postby jereid719 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Anybody have experience replacing their door hinge pins? I have 2 hinges that are kind of sloppy. I haven't had any luck hammering them out in a vice even after heating them. Should I just drill them out?

Also, should I just go down to the hardware store and expect to find a suitable pin and brass washer or bushing replacement?

Thanks guys!
jereid719
Pit Crew

Re: Replacing door hinge pins?

Postby BugeyePaul » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:59 pm

I did mine, but not with hardware store stuff. First getting the pins out took a bunch of pressure with a 20 ton press. They're peened in place. Then I had to clean them up with a mill.
I ordered sized pins from McMasters and replaced the washers with bronze. I had to ream them properly to get a press fit on one side and a nice tight fit on the other.
You might be able to do it, but I would recommend just getting some new or good used ones unless you have access to a machine shop.
BugeyePaul
Pit Crew

Re: Replacing door hinge pins?

Postby Highlander » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:03 pm

I concur, I did this to one of my MKII hinges, and machined a custom pin for it out of A286 tool steel. The old pin had been butchered, was hanging halfway out of the hinge, and only bearing on the upper portion. What a bugger that was to remove!, the remains of the pin were obscuring the screw head so I couldn't even get the thing off without bodging something. Since the pin was FU, that's what went. Machined a new pin, and peened it in place. :D
Anyway, It's much easier to find a good old one than to remachine what you have.
Mark Haynes
AN5L8016
HAN6L12977
Highlander
948cc

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)