Body Trim

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

Body Trim

Postby Giovanni59 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 pm

The 1962 Midget I bought came with the chrome body trim but not attached. I bought the hardware from Moss but I am unsure how to configure the little studs that the rivet goes through. Does nayone have info and illustrations on this? Thanks
Giovanni59
Pit Crew

Re: Body Trim

Postby trevor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I seen to remember that it can only be oriented in one direction such that the trim will pop over it. Do you have a picture of the confusing bit and the trim? Did the car come with the trim or did you buy it as well.
trevor
1275cc

Postby trevor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:30 pm

OK, I just went back and looked at the picture you posted in the other thread. That car was for sale here in Louisville. Are you in Louisville too? If so, I can put you in touch with another Midget MkI owner.
trevor
1275cc

Postby Giovanni59 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:14 am

Yes, the trim was purchased from Louisville on e-bay and I had it shipped to me here in Naples, FL.
It came with the trim but I bought the mounting hardware from Moss
I took two photos of the trim hardware with the rivet placed through the stud.

It would seem that the rivet should be placed this way but then the nose of the rivet gun
would not butt up against the stud and the connection would be loose.
Here is that configuration:

However I think this is the way it should be set up:
The end on the left is inserted into the hole on the body and then the trim is placed over the stud.
Here it is with the rivet gun attached:
Do you think I have this right?
Giovanni59
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:30 am

The first picture is correct. You'll need to use a spacer on the rivet to keep the nose from hitting. A couple of small nuts usually works well.

Funny, my friend's MkI midget came from Florida and is now in Louisville.
trevor
1275cc

Postby Giovanni59 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:13 pm

That makes sense because if done like the second picture the pointed ends would dig into the paint.
I just didn't think of using a spacer. Thanks for the advice.

Can you tell me about your experience with this car Trevor? Did you look at it in person or just saw the
e-bay ad? The carbs are lot worse than indicated in the auction and the floor boards are pretty rusted out but all in all
it's in pretty good shape.

What part of Florida did your friend get his from? we could have bought cars in out own area and saved on the shipping :- )
Any photos?

Thanks
Giovanni59
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:46 pm

I didn't look at the car, but someone at our local car show said that they went and looked at it.

My friend's car was purchased via ebay by another louisville resident. The guy decided it wasn't a car he really wanted and he sold it a year later at a yard sale. My friend's wife bought it for him.

These cars always take a fair amount of work to get sorted. Rarely do you buy one without issues. But there are a few exceptions.
trevor
1275cc

Postby Giovanni59 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Photos? Also can I ask what he paid?

Another question about the trim, in that first photo, do I have the top and bottom right or does it matter?
Giovanni59
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:12 pm

I think you have pictured it with the top in the correct orientation.

I do not have any pictures handy, but I think he paid $2500. It needed brake work and the paint looked OK, but the body is full of bondo and will probably start showing in the next few years.
trevor
1275cc

Postby Giovanni59 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Well, it makes me feel that I paid about the right amount, $3000 plus $475 shipping.
Didn't detect any bondo.
Going take the carbs off this wekend and see what's up, a mechanic said the front was was shot and I picked up a refurbished one on e-bay
for $99.00.
Please give my regards to your friend and hopefully he will join the forum and we can exchange ideas, problems and solutions.
Thanks Trevor.

John
Giovanni59
Pit Crew

Return to MK II Sprite (MK I Midget)