[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Looking for Photos!

Looking for Photos!

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to the second generation cars.

Looking for Photos!

Postby admin » Wed May 26, 2004 11:46 am

SpriteSpot.com wants your photos!

If you have a MK II Sprite and/or a MK I Midget in original (or restored to original) condition, and would like to submit photos, we'd like to hear from you.

We need photos to help establish our "Model Identifier" reference section on the main page.

We'd like to use our own members' cars for a number of reasons (not the least of which is that it's kind of cool to have your car there).

We're particularly interested in cars that are able to illustrate the differences between model years, and the differences between Sprites and Midgets.

So if your car fits the bill, and you'll allow us to use your photos, please email us at info@spritespot.com

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul H » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:05 am

Hi,

If you click on the link below, it takes you to a gallery of high res pics of my Sprite Mk2.

http://x-files.serveftp.com/paulharkerd ... ame=Sprite

It has been slightly modified (different wheels, stainless steel sill covers, and different steering wheel), but is otherwise visually standard, and the pics show the main differences, especially the windscreen, door tops and cockpit surround.

It was built on 19th July 1961, so it has all the correct early details like the vertical boot handle (different from the 'T' shaped ones introduced later that year) and the body colour fuel cap. Also, the wing mirrors fitted match those shown in the accessory brochure.

Hope that this helps,

Paul
1961 Sprite Mk2 (948cc, HAN6)
Paul H
948cc

Postby Frogarri » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:22 am

Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby dan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:31 am

dan
Site Admin

Postby Frogarri » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:56 am

Dan wrote (BTW--what did you lose points for at concours? Seems interesting that such a low mileage example would lose many points at all?)

Condition. A 'Gold' level car is expected to be better than the day it left the factory, in other words 'perfect'. My biggest point loss was for the original Dunlop's. Original tires are automaticly deemed "unroadworthy" reguardless of the fact that they still hold air and I have driven the car with them on. The other points were for minor things, like a small fray in the wire harness covering, carbs and manifold not being polished, the copper return line from the heater not being polished, etal. My car is not restored and I was curious as to how it would score in 'concours'. Now I know! I also 'learned' that I knew more than the National Chief Judge of Bugeyes about my car than he did and that turned out to be a big point loser for me & the car because he did not like to be 'proven' wrong.

Another thing that I learned later was that my car actually scored higher than the 'official 933 points" but "their" policy is to automaticly lower it to "933" in order to eliminate protests to actual scores which are too close for their comfort to the 950 points necessary to achieve gold level. BTDT but never again!

My Mk-II was chosen by Bill Emerson to be in his "Healey Book" as the prime example of a Mk-II over a couple of 'gold' level Mk-II's because of it's originality. To me that rates more than a gold level certificate from some snob any day of the week.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby spritenut » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:54 pm

I can vouch for Frogarri's MKII.
It is 100% as it left the factory.
And when Biff told me how he scored in Concours judging, I think I was as mad as he was.
To quote Geoffrey Healey at an international healey meet some time ago
"There are too many over restored Healeys here."
Biff's is NOT an over restored bubble wrapped Sprite. His car is a TRUE example of what our little cars looked like when new. And I applaud him for keeping this historic example in pristine condition yet still showing it at most east coast meets.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby dan » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:47 am

I have to say I agree...

We tend to forget that these were inexpensive cars when new, and with modern restoration materials and techniques, we can certainly make them better than when they left the factory.

Having said that, if your car needs restoration there's no reason not to bring it up to the highest standard that your budget, time and personal taste see fit. It's just that IMHO an original car should always beat a restored car in a concours.

The difficulty I believe is the judging. As most know, it's hard for the judges to know the cars well enough to really distinguish between two different examples at a high level of concours competition. Sometimes (most of the time?) the owner knows the cars better than the judges. An imperfect system to be sure...and one that in my experience tends to reward the "over-restored" car.

The old saying: "If you can't make it right--make it bright" certainly holds true on the concours show circuit.

About the only comfort that original car owners get is the admiration of the other Spridget owners who really know the cars, and appreciate the originality.

Thanks Biff for sharing your car with us!
dan
Site Admin

Postby Herbytoy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:31 am

I added some pictures of my 62 in the gallery @ . It's not original but it's not radically modified either. See my website for more info.
62 MKII Sprite (Herbytoy)
63 MKII Sprite (SOLD!!)
Herbytoy
948cc

Postby Paul H » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:23 pm

1961 Sprite Mk2 (948cc, HAN6)
Paul H
948cc

Postby Herbytoy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:36 pm

62 MKII Sprite (Herbytoy)
63 MKII Sprite (SOLD!!)
Herbytoy