[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Sprite Models

Sprite Models

Models, magazines, tie tacks -- whatever you've got, if you'd like to discuss Spridget memorabilia and collectibles, this is the forum.

Sprite Models

Postby SpriteGuy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:35 pm

I collect Sprite models. I am always looking to add to this collection.
SpriteGuy
Pit Crew

Postby Ray McCaleb » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:58 pm

I've started acquiring 1/43rd scale British sports car models, primarily MG. I ave about a dozen now, as well as the '47 MG TC in 1/18th that everyone seems to be selling on eBay. I also just received today the MG Midget in pewter on hardwood from Marque Models to put on my desk at work as a conversation starter. I need to find some time to photograph what I've got thus far and put up a models page on my website. BTW, I have a yellow 1/43rd frog/bug eye on the way.

Ray
'73 Midget (show)
'60 TR3A (driver)
'60 Bugeye (vintage racer)
'62 Sprite (future project)
ray@raysmg.com
http://www.raysmg.com
Ray McCaleb
Pit Crew

Postby dan » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:55 pm

If any collectors would like to post their models (or other memorabilia) on SpriteSpot Photos, I'd love to see them.

d
dan
Site Admin

Postby Ray McCaleb » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:09 pm

I suppose this qualifies as memorabilia...dealer brochures. I have about a dozen Midget brochures that I've acquired over the past several months. There's a lot of information there; each has a spec page and most have a good shot or two of under the hood and/or interior detail. I take a notebook, with vinyl pages that hold all but the odd sized brochures, to cruises and find it handy when folks walk up and say "I had a 'NN Midget way back when". I flip to the appropriate brochure and indulge them as they stroll down memory lane. All the brochures have been scanned and are available to you from the "Documentation" page of my web site http://www.raysmg.com.

Ray
'73 Midget (show)
'60 TR3A (driver)
'60 Bugeye (vintage racer)
'62 Sprite (future project)
ray@raysmg.com
http://www.raysmg.com
Ray McCaleb
Pit Crew

Postby Paul H » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:14 am

Details of a forthcoming 1:18 scale model of the Sprite Mk1 are

:D
1961 Sprite Mk2 (948cc, HAN6)
Paul H
948cc

Postby dan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:23 pm

Interesting...wires on the roadster, and steel wheels on the hardtop...

(Does the hardtop look like there's a "bubble" or something on top?)

dan
Site Admin

Postby Paul H » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:45 am

Paul H
948cc

Postby dan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:58 pm

Here's the photo:

Neat hardtop...not sure I've "dared" anyone lately though :)

Any idea where that name came from?

d
dan
Site Admin

Postby garyfrogeye » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:13 pm

I've added a couple of images of my (yet to be refurbished) Pride and Clark Hard top to the Photo's section.
I believe it has become known as a "Dan Dare" type hard top due its similarity to the helmet that Dan Dare wore in the comics/films.
It has an advantage over the works type tops in that it requires no front clips (now available again from A H Spares) to secure it as it is molded with a lip which sits under the lip at the top of the windscreen.
Although I onw one I don't think it looks as nice as the works type top.
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby Paul H » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:49 am

Hi Gary,

Cheers for posting up the pics of the hardtop! Hope all is going well - hadn't seen you around on this board or the MG bbs for a while!

Paul
Paul H
948cc

Postby garyfrogeye » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:55 pm

Hi Paul
Your loss was Mallorca's gain, although I was at the Blue Ball last Tuesday. Roof down there and back
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby dan » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:16 pm

Neat hardtop...

Interesting you say it's not as nice as the original...I really like the look. Were other hardtops for other cars made with a similar styling feature?

(And I'm sad to say I didn't have a clue as to who "Dan Dare" was...)

d
dan
Site Admin

Postby garyfrogeye » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:34 pm

Dan
Try http://www.dandare.org or do a search on google
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby dan » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:28 pm

dan
Site Admin

Postby garyfrogeye » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:49 am

Ok Dan I've uploaded a couple of images of the helmet.
Now I'm wondering myself why it's called a "Dan Dare" hardtop as they aren't particularly similar.
For those of you wondering. Dan Dare was an English comic hero much like Flash Gordon (but with a stiffer upper lip)
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Next

Return to Memorabilia