Halda & Old Rallye Equipment

Models, magazines, tie tacks -- whatever you've got, if you'd like to discuss Spridget memorabilia and collectibles, this is the forum.

Halda & Old Rallye Equipment

Postby admin » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Anyone know why the old Halda rallye stuff from the 60s is so darn expensive?

I used to rallye the Sprite a bit in the 70s/80s and thought it would be cool to get a Halda SpeedPilot and Tripmaster/Twinmaster to try and get a "period" Rallye look.

Wasn't serious enough about Rallyeing back in the day to buy one (and frankly couldn't afford it at the time) but I figured they'd be available now...but the prices on eBay are in the hundreds of dollars--if I wanted both a SpeedPilot and Twinmaster I'd be pushing $1,000!

Can't see it, as if you're competing it's outdated--pretty much useful only to a geek like myself that is just reminiscing about the "good old days" and is interested in a cosmetic accessory.

Are there THAT many old rallye fans to make these things worth that much money? Or does this have something to do with "Vintage Rallying" (and maybe you need vintage computers?)

I'm puzzled...anyone have some ideas?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Halda & Old Rallye Equipment

Postby markwemple » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Sure, vintage racing is popular enough to command big prices for those out of the ordinary parts that you need to be authentic. :wink:
'58 BE, '60 BE, '70 914, '76 911, '78 911, '82 911, '78 124 Spyder, 2 '84 Westis, '01 XC/70, '03 Pilot, '62 Honda C110, '66 CT90K0, '70 CB750K0, '78 XS-11
markwemple
948cc

Re: Halda & Old Rallye Equipment

Postby healeynut » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:01 pm

One reason is that certain Rally Organizations and/or Event Class Designations only allow the use of vintage (Period) Time, Speed and Distance measuring equipment. This is one reason why vintage Haldas, certain mechanical timing devices and mechanical calculators (like a Curta) are so valuable. Organizations like the FIA are keen on preserving the use of vintage cars AND vintage measuring equipment during the running of their historic events. The value of this equipment is largely dependent upon the supply (how many are available at any given time) versus demand (are you in the market for one today). It sounds like there are more buyers than there are sellers.
Brian Thornton
'60 Iris Blue Supercharged Sprite MKI
'67 Tartan Red Road n' Rally MKIV Sprite
healeynut
Pit Crew

Return to Memorabilia