Coil Spring Life Span

Raise it, lower it, front & rear sway bars and the best camber settings are found here.

Coil Spring Life Span

Postby Sprimini » Wed May 18, 2011 9:35 pm

I would like to know if front coil springs on a Spridget have a life span, and if so, what that might be. I am about to rebuild my Bugeye front end, convert it to disc brakes, and install newly rebuilt shocks. While it's apart, should I go ahead and change the coil springs? I'm sure they must be original.
Sprimini
948cc

Re: Coil Spring Life Span

Postby hoggie » Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 pm

If those are original coil springs, I would replace them. The original coil springs on my 69 had lost an inch or so of height within the 1st 10 years.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri May 20, 2011 12:29 am

Coil springs might sag over the years.
Personally, I prefer the look of a Sprite if it has been lowered about an inch, but this is not for everyone's taste.
If you are pleased with the ride height at the front of the car, keep the springs. If the height of the car is uneven at the front, left to right, you might consider lowering one side, if it does not lower the car too much for your taste.
Just my opinion.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Sprimini » Sat May 21, 2011 7:49 am

The height of the car is not in question. In fact, I lowered it about an inch a few years ago, and it suits my tastes perfectly. I was more concerned about the possibility of sponginess in the 50 year old springs. Is that an issue to be concerned about?
Sprimini
948cc

Coil Spring Life Span

Postby TimothyMit » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:19 am

I'm looking to lift the front end of my 92' 4x4 Ranger 4.0.
Should I use the coil spring separator's?? Or switch my coil springs to some out of a 90's model 4x4 F150???
TimothyMit
Pit Crew

Return to Suspension