[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Cross Flow Radiator in a Bugeye?

Cross Flow Radiator in a Bugeye?

Need tips on installing a cross flow in your Spridget? Check in here.

Cross Flow Radiator in a Bugeye?

Postby liamof » Sun May 15, 2005 12:21 am

Will a cross flow radiator with sheet metal shroud fit in a 1960 bugeye and of course if it is worth it? Does the cross flow cool better? If anyone has done it please let me know what is involved and what the cooling difference is between a vertical and cross flow radiator setup.
Thanks 8)
Liam
1960 bugeye project
1957 MGA daily driver
liamof
948cc

It should

Postby Darryl S » Sun May 15, 2005 9:56 am

I run a crossflow with my 1098 race motor in my Spridget. Its not a Bugeye but the mounting locations are the same.. You'll need to get a crossover pipe which mounts on top of the steering rack. This will move the water from the passenger side of the car to the driver's side. You'll also need to get the 1275 hoses. I was able to just turn my top thermostat housing to point to the top of the radiator. You might or might not be able to do that. Or a 1275 thermostat housing might fit but somebody else will have to answer that.
Darryl S.
SCCA GP 1965 Sprite
SCCA Solo II 1975 Midget
1970 Midget
1960 Bugeye
1979 Midget
Darryl S
948cc

Postby spritenut » Sun May 15, 2005 7:21 pm

A cross flow will fit, and work in a Bugeye. It just looks wrong with all the added sheetmetal.
A thermo-engineer who happens to be a regular on the Sprigets list did a work up on cross flow vs down flow.a couple years back.
His conclusion was the radiators cool exactly the same.
The cross flow being a bit more modern than the down flow, it has a smaller capacity. It is also made of thinner material.

FWIW
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby spritenut » Sun May 15, 2005 7:21 pm

A cross flow will fit, and work in a Bugeye. It just looks wrong with all the added sheetmetal.
A thermo-engineer who happens to be a regular on the Sprigets list did a work up on cross flow vs down flow.a couple years back.
His conclusion was the radiators cool exactly the same.
The cross flow being a bit more modern than the down flow, it has a smaller capacity. It is also made of thinner material.

FWIW
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

go with the flow...........

Postby JB » Fri May 27, 2005 2:34 pm

JB
948cc

Postby Sprimini » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:33 am

My question is: When switching from a 948 to a slightly hotted up 1293 in a Bugeye, will the exisiting stock radiator provide sufficient cooling, or should I switch it out to a late model Spridget cross-flow assembly? I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.
Sprimini
948cc

Postby JB » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:02 pm

""""""" the exisiting stock radiator provide sufficient cooling"""""

try it and see.

Everything else being correct and having correct airflow thru the rad and the temp is too high at highway speed then you might need a radiator with more frontal area or row (thickness count).

As I posted previously there is absolutely no difference in a x flow vs. downflow if the sizing if the 2 rads are the same.
JB
948cc

Postby timbo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:26 am

I have a 1960 Bugeye with a 1275, the rad is stock and on the hottest day will run at 185-190. I am not sure what the thermostate is but I believe its a 185. I have made up some sheet metal and closed off the holes on either side of the rad so the fan pulls more air through the rad.
Hope this helps.............Timbo
timbo
948cc

Re: Cross Flow Radiator in a Bugeye?

Postby Sprimini » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:55 am

What's the preferred fan for the best cooling of a 1293 with a downflow radiator in a Bugeye. I currently have a 4 blade metal and a 6 blade plastic to choose from, or is there a preferred alternative to these?
Sprimini
948cc

Return to Cooling