Aluminum Bugeye radiators on eBay

Need tips on installing a cross flow in your Spridget? Check in here.

Aluminum Bugeye radiators on eBay

Postby funflyer63 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Has anyone tried one of the many aluminum downflow radiators in their bugeye? I have a Sprite with a 1275 that has some cooling issues on the highway. The stock radiator looks okay and has been flushed, but I still get to over 210F on a hot day, running for 15 or 20 minutes at speed.

I've heard that there might be cavitation issues and/or issues with the plastic fan. I doubt the problem is with the fan given that this occurs during high-speed operation.

Is one of the aluminum radiators a reasonable approach? What about the Speedwell, super-expensive, aluminum radiator?

I've also seen the posts on the Geo radiator, which seems like a good, low-buck solution, but was hoping to stay a little closer to original.
funflyer63
Pit Crew

Re: Aluminum Bugeye radiators on eBay

Postby Charlie Tolman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Overheating at speed is not related to a fan.
The problem is most likely with the radiator core.
Have a good radiator shop install a new replacement core (re-core) using the original tanks.
Make sure that it is not a thermostat problem before doing radiator work.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby funflyer63 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks Charlie. I had the same problem before and after I rebuilt the head and changed the thermostat, so it's probably not that.
funflyer63
Pit Crew

Postby Nick Striker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 am

I put an aluminum radiator in my '60 bug eye with a 1275. I have the plastic fan and cruise at about 170 at 55. I live at 7000 ft. with lost of mountains. If going over a pass though it still can climb to almost 200 degrees, but way better than before with the stock radiator.
Nick Striker
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:48 am

I had a slightly thicker three core radiator in my supercharged bugeye. It cooled the car adequately. When it was damaged I replaced it with an aftermarket replacement radiator from Moss. It does not cool the car very well.

So... talk to the radiator shop and see if they can take your old radiator and make it better than new.
trevor
1275cc

Return to Cooling