Clutch Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw Location

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Clutch Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw Location

Postby liamof » Wed May 04, 2005 12:01 pm

Since this is a hydraulics question I think this is the appropriate forum for it.
On the 948 early type clutch slave cylinder the parts manuals from Victoria British and Moss show the bleed screw horizontaly out the end. They show the slave cylinder picture upside down. I have a funny feeling the picture is incorrect. It seems to me that the supply should be mounted horizontally at the end and the bleed screw mounted 90 degrees to that at the top of the slave cylinder. This would make the slave cylinder bleed screw accessible from the inside access hole on the inside of the car at the foot well. Since air bubbles rise the bleed screw at the top of the slave cylinder seems to the appropriate location.
Another question: I have a ribcase transmission with a 948 engine. The clutch slave cylinder push rod will need to be 2 -1/2" long (948,1098) or 2 -11/16" long (1275).
Liam
1960 bugeye project
1957 MGA daily driver
liamof
948cc

Postby D.Valentino » Wed May 04, 2005 2:41 pm

I don't know if it's correct but I mounted mine horizontally. Only made sense to me, more pressure straight on, and I believe it was easier to get to the bleeder that way. As far as the trans question, you need the longer rod the shorter one will not engage the clutch.
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw Location

Postby Boink » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:04 am

Just browsing old post and would like to add to this thread.
Yes, those replacement slaves often come with the bleed on the wrong hole. You often need to swap them to match what is in your car. Furthermore, changing it so the bleed comes off the side puts it at the highest point on the slave. Not sure why they come reversed. I would make sure your hydraulic line comes off the back (front - away from the clutch) and the bleed facing up (into a very awkward spot).
Boink
Pit Crew

Return to Brakes