[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Rear slave cylinder circlips - how on earth do they fit?

Rear slave cylinder circlips - how on earth do they fit?

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Rear slave cylinder circlips - how on earth do they fit?

Postby Asolepius » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:16 pm

I am about to upgrade the rear brakes to the later ones - these came from a 1500 Midget. I got new cylinders and circlips, but the latter are impossible to fit. They are very thick and stiff. I note that Moss sells a special tool for this, at a very steep GBP25. Is there a knack to this? I have tried pushing them on using a socket spanner in the vice, but they just bend and won't go over the stub of the cylinder. The workshop manual is of course useless, and just says the fatuous "reverse the removal procedure".
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
1959 Sprite, owned since 1978
Asolepius
1098cc

Re: Rear slave cylinder circlips - how on earth do they fit?

Postby hoggie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 pm

I bet your dealing with the infamous E-clip that comes with the replacement wheel cylinders. Almost impossible to install.
Your best bet is to get a circlip and a wave washer from the hardware store. That's what held the wheel cylinders originally.

Lots of post around regarding those E clips.

Here is an old post on SpriteSpot.

hoggie
1098cc

Postby Asolepius » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:10 am

Thanks Mike - it appears my backplates already had the non-standard clips, as there were wavy washers under them. Time for a rummage round the parts stores.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Asolepius » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:58 am

I could not find any suitable clips to buy, but I have found a way to fit the standard ones. I made a tool out of a bolt, by filing chamfers on 3 of the flats. These coincide with the tangs on the circlip. Using suitable collars and a nut, the circlip can be forced down over the head of the bolt, expanding on the way, until it's wide enough to go over the cylinder stub. Then, I used a socket that just fitted over the stub, to whack the clip fully down. It needed a slight squeeze with the Mole wrench to get it fully engaged, but it's on. I think this is the same principle as the expensive tool available from Moss.

One point - the filed chamfers have to be very smooth, or the tangs stick and bend.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby admin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:34 am

Would love to see a photo of that tool...I *think* I understand... :D
admin
Site Admin

Return to Brakes