Rear brake adjustment/handbrake not working

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Rear brake adjustment/handbrake not working

Postby Dannyp Sprite MKIII » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi All,
I have a MKIII sprite which has front discs and rear drums, the entire braking system is relatively new having only done approximately 1500 miles. The issue im having is with the adjustment of the rear drums. They are adjusted as far as they can go and yet the handbrake is still insufficient for MOT.
I realise that there is very little information here, I have looked at a couple of other posts in this section but both mention different things, for example one mentions using a shim under the shoe whilst the other says not to use a shim under the shoe? Another thing that concerns me is the mention of parts available are sub standard.

Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions.

Thanks
Danny
Dannyp Sprite MKIII
Pit Crew

Re: Rear brake adjustment/handbrake not working

Postby hpmowog » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 pm

First thing to check is if the ID of the drums are to spec. They may be worn past the range of adjustment.
Karl Keiger
'62 Sprite
'60 Bugeye - Vintage Race Project
'65 Innocenti S - Vintage Race Project
hpmowog
948cc

Postby perdido » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 am

Danny,
It's been my experience that the handbrake cable is out of adjustment or that the cable has stretched beyond it's adjustment range and needs replacing. The cables are very cheap and not that hard to replace, you just need to get under the car and also pull the handbrake assembly away from the gearbox tunnel.
Good luck, Rut
perdido
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am

Do you mean the adjuster is turned as far as it can go? Is the handbrake the issue or the rear brake adjustment overall? Maybe your adjuster needs to be removed and the threads cleaned out.
trevor
1275cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:14 am

As Karl suggested:

From the SpriteSpot forum, Nov. 30, 2004:

- - - - - and the chances are that you have exceeded the allowable wear (7.125" MAX diameter).

Whereas "allowable wear" on most cars means very little in the real world, I have found Spridgets to be a major exception. If you are beyond that magical 7.125" mark, the adjusters simply will NOT go far enough to get the proper adjustment on your brakes and you will find that the e-brake lever does not go far enough to grab (you run out of travel) and you have to pump your brakes twice to get them to grab.

Postby Asolepius » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 am

Are the pull-rods new? On my Mark 1 I have just dramatically improved my handbrake by shortening the rods. They had stretched over 53 years! I also repaired the ends of the levers on the slaves by welding and filing to correct shape.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
1959 Sprite, owned since 1978
Asolepius
1098cc

Return to Brakes