[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Options

Options

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Options

Postby Talonaer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Currently have:
Disc Brakes
dual 7/8 master cylinder

BUT the Residual valve has a hole in it! Where the spring rubs on it it has worn a hole straight through.

A) Put in a restrictor valve, use the 7/8 bores. Problem: Where can I get a restrictor valve? Moss don't seem to do them nor does anyone else I can find
B) Get the MC resleeved to 3/4 on one side Problem: Where do I get a piston and again a restrictior valve? pastparts are not responding to my enquiry at the moment, will try and call them some time next week.
C) Put in custom 7/8 and 3/4 master cylinders a la Sebring style. (Prefered Option). Anyone know which master cylinders will fit the mk1 pedal box? Most pictures I've found shows two girlings with one offset by what looks like a metal block. Unfortunately Girling don't seem to do a 7/8 integral resevoir master cylinder any more!

Anyone got any advice? :)
Talonaer
Pit Crew

Re: Options

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:00 am

Scan through the postings in this forum for information on your questions.
Also, use the Search function, located at the upper right corner of a forum page.

There is a short discussion about disk brakes and the use of a residual pressure valve, in this link: http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ ... php/topics

Disk brakes typically have a 2 psi residual pressure valve in the system, and drum brakes typically have 10 psi.
If you can't find Sprite parts, these individual valves are available for installation in a brake line. Check Summit Racing, Speedway Motors, e.g.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Talonaer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:13 am

Thanks Charlie, don 't worry have read most of the contents of this forum and other sprite resources out there on this subject. I tend to find the honest opinion of experience helpful though.

In regards to these valves one places in the line. Whilst the original valve is in the MC and so keeps pressure at 2psi would it be better to put a 10psi on the back spure and a 2 psi on the front or just to run the whole system at 2psi.

Does anyone have any experience fitting the later type reestrictor valve into the earlier 7/8th MC? I may have found a stockist.

Thanks again
Talonaer
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:28 am

I do not know if the original residual pressure value is rated at 2 psi or 10 psi ?

The recommended 10 psi valve for drum brakes, is to ensure that the pistons in the wheel cylinders are in contact with the brake shoes, by applying a little pressure against the retraction springs. This is to ensure a quick reaction of the shoes upon demand. I would keep a 10 psi valve for drum brakes on my car.

There are no retraction springs for disk brakes, and hence, the pressure recommendation is much less. If I was having squeaking or rubbing issues with disk brakes on my car, I would be tempted to remove any residual pressure valves from the disk brake system. A disk rotor normally will have a very slight amount of lateral run-out, which will cause the pads and pistons in the calipers to retract a small amount, usually eliminating any squeaking or rubbing.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby stevenparker » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 am

Hi... You have given the wonderful information on topic I want to give some more information on types of brakes. I think someone may be get helpful this information,actually we have seen many types of brakes,disk brakes,drum brakes,air brakes,Drumbrakes,engine brakes,etc I want to give some information Disc brakes are popular mainly due to their durability, as they last for more than three decades. vacuum brakes work on the principle of creating air pressure changes in a compartment called brake cylinder.Vaccume brakes are similar to the drum brakes,it do not last longer and demand frequent replacing; hence, they are not much effective as compared to disc brakes. And for this reason, they are being replaced by disc brakes in most vehicles. Aileron is one such example of air brakes, that is, the surface that moves out from the plane to create more wind resistance. Very shortly I will post the images .Thank you

|
stevenparker
Pit Crew

Return to Brakes