[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Bench bleeding Brake MC

Bench bleeding Brake MC

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Bench bleeding Brake MC

Postby pg_1966Sprite » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:35 am

I have a 1966 MkIII that was converted at some point to a 1275 along with newer brake MC set up. Anyway, I am in the process of replacing both brake MC & clutch MC/slave. I purchased new units, problem is bleed kits for MC. I purchased one at NAPA and the plastic fittings did not fit. They said I needed a metric one, but the fittings were not tight enough to seal properly. Should I purchase a standard one and try it? From what I read and watched (Moss videos) they said you "must" bench bleed MC prior to install. I am open to advice. The "modifications" done by ?? prior to refit the housing that the brake and clutch MC fit into are interesting. Its been an adventure.
pg_1966Sprite
Pit Crew

Re: Bench bleeding Brake MC

Postby hoggie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:58 am

I think I would be tempted to take my MC to the local hardware store and find some rubber tubing that fits very tight or can be screwed in to seal. You just want a seal good enough so you won't suck air when you release the piston. I've done it a few times and I think that's what I used. I'm cheap.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby pg_1966Sprite » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for the post. I messed around with the kit again and ended up bleeding them one at a time, alternating sides, because one of the fittings actually "fitted". I did it till no bubbles. I hope this suffices. Everything has been re-installed I am now going to bleed the lines for both master cylinders then swap the slave once I get the old fluid out of the lines. I figured I would bleed the old fluid through the old parts then change the slave out then work on the brake ends, cylinders, calipers, etc. Any advice is welcome. Thank you again.
pg_1966Sprite
Pit Crew

Postby pg_1966Sprite » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Thank you for help. I got the clutch and brake MC bled and working this weekend and drove it for the first time in years!!! Just around the block a few times. I tried to bleed brake lines with little success. I am just going to replace the rubber hoses, wheel cylinders and calipers; everything is rusted with cobwebs. :) It stops barely. Anyway, I have a long list to go through before it is safe for the road. Dry rotted tires, frozen brakes, brake lights, etc, etc. Goal is to have it road worthy by Christmas. Any thoughts please let me know!
pg_1966Sprite
Pit Crew

Postby 68sprite » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:36 pm

I bought the Mityvac tool from harbor freight and it is great tool for clutch and brake bleeding-it works great
68sprite
948cc

Return to Brakes