TRW master cylinders

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

TRW master cylinders

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:12 pm

I have found out that master cylinders are now being manufactured new for early Midgets and Sprites by TRW, which supposedly bought out Lucas/Girling. I see a number being offered at Brit parts places anywhere from $170 - $209. Has anyone had any experience with them, or knows anything about them? I had a tip from someone that Lockheed is still making them, but I found no information online anywhere. A parts supplier of mine (who will remain nameless) left a message about a new mc he could get me for just under $400. No where have I seen one for that price ???!!! Thanks if anyone can give me info. BTW, I also heard there are some being sold as new with "Lucas" stamped on the side. I am told they are knock=offs from India and to steer clear of them.
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Re: TRW master cylinders

Postby HAN5L778 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Do you have the TRW part number? Does it say anywhere what the bore diameter is? These sound interesting at that price. I've seen the ones with Lucas cast on on the side for sale on ebay now and then, but didn't really look at them closely.
Rick
'69 Sprite-project with lots of trick parts.
'63 MGB waiting for restoration
HAN5L778
1098cc

Postby CertifiedCarNut » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:44 am

I don't have a part number, but I read that TRW has both the 7/8 and the 3/4 bores for the early and later models. On another forum, which I don't remember which one, I read that the mcs imprinted with Lucas may be Indian knockoffs. I did a search and several Brit part suppliers have the TRW mcs. I contacted a supplier, that a friend referred me to, the other day, who wrote back saying that he had no trouble reported from the TRW master cylinders that he sold. On another forum, a parts guy said that TRW was a reliable manufacturer.
I'm not ready for a new mc yet, after doing some brake work, and bleeding the system. The leak was actually coming from the filler cap, which is the original metal one from new. They become distorted over time. The plastic replacements are considered an upgrade, and I have one on order. Russ
Russ Mullaly
1962 MG Midget GAN1L1440
CertifiedCarNut
Pit Crew

Postby HAN5L778 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:46 pm

After I saw your questions I looked on eBay. I found a listing for a mc with LUCAS cast in the side. It was sitting on a TRW box. Draw you own conclusions from that. It would be nice if someone made 3/4 mcs as they work much better with the disc brakes. But I still have a couple of old ones that can be re-sleeved if I want to use them. Nope, they are not for sale.
Rick
'69 Sprite-project with lots of trick parts.
'63 MGB waiting for restoration
HAN5L778
1098cc

Postby pacomb » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:35 am

Moss Europe, I suppose USA aswell, is selling new 3/4 bore master cilynders. I have just bought one and waiting for it.

Once it arrives I can let you know the brand, although I think it's TWR

PACO
pacomb
Pit Crew

Postby pacomb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:02 am

Just forgot to mention that I received the new 3/4 MC from Moss Europe. It came in a TWR red box and has TWR letters on the case side.

paco
pacomb
Pit Crew

Return to Brakes