[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Dual Line Brake Upgrade for pre-'67 Sprite

Dual Line Brake Upgrade for pre-'67 Sprite

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Dual Line Brake Upgrade for pre-'67 Sprite

Postby michael » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:01 pm

I've got a HAN8 with a stock single line brake master cylinder, and I'd like to switch to a dual-line setup for safety reasons. While I'll not be racing or road-rallying, I may be doing some autocross, so the ablity to adjust bias might be a "nice to have".

I've seen some people use the later (post-67) dual-line masters, but I'm not sure what considerations there might be in doing this. I'm assuming that the pedalbox would change, but would i be able to run the stock brakes with the new master?

I've also seen custom jobs, but I've never seen an aftermarket drop in setup for a Sprite/Midget. Has anyone done an custom setup. If so, what did you get? How much fabrication did you have to do?

So what are people doing to upgrade their brakes to dual-line?

Thanks!

_michael
1275 cc "1967" MkIII AH Sprite
michael
Pit Crew

Re: Dual Line Brake Upgrade for pre-'67 Sprite

Postby hoggie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Are you considering upgrading to the later spridget dual line factory arrangement?
I think the HAN8 sprite had the combination brake-clutch master cylinder.

Is yours the combination brake-clutch arrangement or the individual single brake and clutch master cylinders. I think that affects how your pedal box is set up.

Mike
hoggie
1098cc

Postby Sprite33 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:34 pm

I switched my HAN6L Sprite to a dual brake system. I did it in 1986 so I am not sure I remember all the details. I am pretty sure I used all MGB (1968 -1974) components. That includes the brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, mounting frame for both (pedal box), brake light switch, brake lines to the failure switch body junction ass'y and the failure switch body junction ass'y. I found a donor vehicle at a salvage yard and took what I needed. I am not sure if I used the pedals and rods from the MGB but most likely did.

I have the mounting frame attached to a sheet of stainless steel. Not sure exactly why but it probably covers a big hole. To obtain brake bias, I used a pressure proportioning valve on the brake line that goes to the rear. It is mounted on the floor of the cockpit at the rear so I can adjust it without getting out of the car. This valve became very useful when I switched to disc brakes in the rear. In fact the car would not have been drivable without it with the rear disc brakes, unless you like to lock up the rear brakes a lot.

I did run it with stock brakes for many years. I had disc brake on the front and drums in the rear. I don't know if the front discs were original but they were stock. The rear drums were original.
61 Sprite 1098
Set up for full prep racing in SCCA
2004, 2005 & 2006 Southern Pacific Divisional GP Champion
2008 & 2009 Southern Pacific Divisional HP Champion
Sprite33
948cc

Postby michael » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:16 pm

Last edited by michael on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1275 cc "1967" MkIII AH Sprite
michael
Pit Crew

Postby Bugzy59 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:33 pm

I wonder if you could build a pedal box/MC set up similar to the sebring sprite one?
http://www.sebringsprite.com/price_list.htm
You could use an old pedal box and mount a dual line tilton or wildwood MC. I keep pondering that because you dont have to cut the body.
Bugzy59
1275cc

Return to Brakes