[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Replacing brake lines

Replacing brake lines

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Replacing brake lines

Postby hoggie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:20 am

I have a 69 Midget that I will be reassembling this spring after fixing the typical spridget rust outs, and I'm thinking about what if anything I should do with the brake lines. I capped all the lines when I pulled the axles off and sealed the master cylinder. Of course I planned to replace all the flexible lines, but I wonder if I should replace the hard lines also, while they are easy to get to. The lines are undamaged and look good from the outside, but I'm sure 40 years hasn't helped them internally. I'm guessing I should go ahead and replace them.

Mike
hoggie
1098cc

Re: Replacing brake lines

Postby Bugzy59 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:48 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if they look good dont replace them. I only replaced the ones which looked bad on my bug.
Bugzy59
1275cc

Postby spritenut » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am

I always replace the hard lines, I have found that many times they look OK but have rust pits deep into the pipe.
A set of hard lines runs about $100. Now imagine you have your car all restored and looking good and you have to make a panic stop. That rusty spot you never saw blows out and your brake pedal goes to the floor.
As you said, it's an easy job at this stage of the project. And piece of mind for another 40 years.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby hoggie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:22 pm

That's my thoughts also. i would probably be OK for the near future and the dual brake line would protect me a little bit, but now would be the time to change them for the long haul. I've had this same midget for 40 yrs, and plan to keep it around for a long time. I've got the body on a rotisserie, and everything is easy to get to. I just hadn't thought about the brake lines much until I got to a point where I'm ready to remount all the axles.

Thanks,

Mike
hoggie
1098cc

Postby Bugzy59 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Of course Frank is right.
The ones which I did not relace are the two lines to the front brakes. They looked good. I keep my parking emergency brake tuned up.
Bugzy59
1275cc

Postby hoggie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks for the help. I originally planned to leave the hard lines alone as you suggested. They looked good, but I know how brake fluid absorbs moisture and saw how rust invades these cars over time. So, whats another $100 bucks and a few hours to replace the lines. Might keep my grandson out of trouble some day.

Thanks again.

Mike
hoggie
1098cc

Return to Brakes