Locked Rear Brake

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

Locked Rear Brake

Postby mach92 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 pm

Help. I have a 1959 Bugeye that I have owned since 2002. It hasn't been driven much the past two years, but recently when I tried to take it out the right rear brake is locked up. I have tried all of the "normal" items like checking parking brake cable, bleeding the brakes, etc.

Now, I need to move the car and I can't even get the drum to release.

Any suggestions or procedures to remove the drum would be greatly appreciated. I am not a super mechanic, so non-technical terms would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dale
mach92
Pit Crew

Re: Locked Rear Brake

Postby Joe Schlosser » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Dale

If you stored it with the handbrake on there is a good chance that the brake shoes have become stuck to the drum. Or the piston has frozen in the open position
It does not take long for this to happen
I will assume that you cannot get at the adjusters to back everything off.
If I remember correctly (happended to me 30 years ago) I would try to heat the drum to try to break the bond between the drum and the shoe and a lot of brute force (long bar between the studs) to try to turn the drum.
If not then real brute force and a new set of shoes.
Joe
NESCCA FP 48 (Retired)
1960 Bugeye
Joe Schlosser
948cc

Re: Locked Rear Brake

Postby Frogarri » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:20 pm

If heat and rotation don't work the drum loose, a sharp chisel and a BFH will split the drum. Put the chisel on the outer edge of the drum and give it a good wack with the BFH. The brake drum will split. You may have to do it in a few places to get the drum broken enough to get it completely off.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Re: Locked Rear Brake - Fixed

Postby mach92 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I was able to use the BFH method and after a couple of nights of working on it, I was able to break it loose. A little sanding and everything is working well. I even managed to take the bugeye out for a nice one hour ride once I bleed the brakes and top of all the fluids.

thanks, again...
mach92
Pit Crew

Return to Brakes