silicone brake fluid

Drums, discs and conversions - they're all here.

silicone brake fluid

Postby Jim Duffey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:53 pm

We are finally getting Ol' Blue back together. Installing new brake system. Any reason not to use silicone fluid?? A spill will not mar paint, it is non-hygroscopic (I think that is the term for not retaining moisture). Any advice apprreciated. The car is in Florida where there is plenty of moisture in the air this time of year.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Re: silicone brake fluid

Postby Sprite33 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:21 pm

As long as you are not going to race with it, silicone brake fluid should be fine. I used silicone brake fluid in a 73 FJ55 Land Cruiser because of corrosion problems in the wheel cylinders. It solved the problem and worked very well for at least 10 years for me without having to flush it. I would guess the current owner is still using it if the vehicle is still on the road.

You should replace all of the rubber that the old brake fluid contacted. You will need to flush the old brake fluid out of the system. Pour the silicone brake fluid slowly to avoid aeration and also pump the brake pedal slowly while flushing and bleeding. If you follow these basic steps, you will have a good working brake system and should never have to flush it again.
61 Sprite 1098
Set up for full prep racing in SCCA
2004, 2005 & 2006 Southern Pacific Divisional GP Champion
2008 & 2009 Southern Pacific Divisional HP Champion
Sprite33
948cc

Postby spritenut » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm

I have been using silicone fluid for 13 years now. I love it. Everything lasts longer.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Water eventually gets into a brake line system. With standard brake fluids, it mixes well, and the boiling point of the fluid mixture decreases a little.

Water does not mix with silicone brake fluids. Because of water's larger density, it will collect in low spots in the brake line system. Under high system pressure braking conditions, the water will boil, creating a large gas bubble, which will cause braking problems.

http://www.american-auto-club.co.uk/aac ... show&id=70

The usage depends on the application, and how often the particular brake fluid should be changed.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Sprite33 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I think you would have to do something unusual to get water in the brake hydraulic system with silicone brake fluid in it. Silicone tends to repel water rather than absorb it and I never had a bit of problem with water in the brake hydraulics with my Landcruiser after switching to silicone. It had many deep water excursions while off-road. I had to drain the differentials due to contamination with water a few times but the brakes were always good to go.
61 Sprite 1098
Sprite33
948cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 am

There is water vapor in the air, and the brake system is not a closed system. Over time, there will be water in a brake system, regrdless of the type of brake fluid.

Silicone brake fluid does not absorb water; the two fluids do not mix, which is the root of the problem.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby spritenut » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Water in the brake system is true, humidity in the air results in water in the system but the beauty of silicone is that the water does not get absorbed like it does in conventional brake fluid.
A quick squirt of the bleeders once a year removes a drop or 2 of water from the cylinders.
I recommend replacing the fluid every 3 years like on any car regardless of mileage.
Yes you should drain and refill your brake fluid in any car every 3 years for maximum brake hydraulic performance.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby Sprite33 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Staying on the side of caution is always a good idea but my experience with silicone brake fluid is very different than what is being stated here. Before I switched to silicone brake fluid in my Landcruiser, I had to rebuild or replace at least two wheel cylinders every year due to them binding because of corrosion. After I switched to silicone brake fluid, I never had to do anything to the brakes with the exception of replace the brake shoes and turn the drums during the more than ten years with the silicone brake fluid. That Landcruiser was exposed to some very harsh environments at times. I do live in So. California with a relatively dry climate most of the time and that may have contributed to my success of using silicone brake fluid.

My experience of using it on a race car was not so good. That environment is too hot and demanding for use of silicone brake fluid.
61 Sprite 1098
Sprite33
948cc

silicone brake fluid

Postby TimothyMit » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:49 pm

What is the best way to clean crusted on brake fluid from the grooves that hold the piston seals. Im afraid ill mar up the grooves if I use a small screwdriver. Is there a better way?
TimothyMit
Pit Crew

Postby admin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Not sure on that one--maybe a plastic scraper? I've never worried about it much (but then you'd hardly call my car concours...)
admin
Site Admin

Return to Brakes