[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Sprite Club

Sprite Club

Have a suggestion for the forums (or for SpriteSpot in general)? Please post them here!

Is a Sprite Club a good idea?

Yes
74%
No
9%
Maybe
17%

Total votes : 23

Sprite Club

Postby admin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:20 pm

I think it's time to start this thread.

A few members have emailed or PM'ed me to ask about the idea of evolving or extending SpriteSpot into an Austin-Healey Sprite club of some type.

Since there's not one (at all) it seems in the State, this might be a good idea.

I'd like to (as a part of this) get an online "registry" going as well, to try and track our cars and their whereabouts (or their ultimate fate). Maybe we can tie this in with what Rick Moses did a while back (or perhaps he's still doing), or what Ray English is doing now. Haven't yet spoken to either of these folks...maybe there are some other registries?

In any event, it's time for a discussion:

Is a Sprite/Midget club a good idea? If so, what should it entail? How could we best interface/leverage SpriteSpot with such a club? Is there enough interest? What services/benefits could (should) we provide? Magazine? EZine? Other stuff (what specifically)? Can we do this for free (or would a membership fee be needed and if so, how much would folks think is appropriate)? Maybe SpriteSpot as a website of info and a forum/photos is "good enough"? Maybe there are too many clubs around (maybe not--you always hear that the national AH clubs don't give Sprites enough attention)? Lots to think about....

Sprite's 50th anniversary isn't far away, and it might be nice to have a rip-snortin' club and have a bunch of folks somehow get together in '08 (who knows).

So...the floor is open...comments? ideas? (And if you don't want to comment, please vote yes/no/maybe)

Thanks!
d
admin
Site Admin

Postby D.Valentino » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:27 pm

You would have to have a membership fee. Putting a magazine together every month or bi monthly will get expensive. Love the idea of a Sprite club :idea:
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Postby Frogarri » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:08 am

Dan,

You are not the first to suggest the idea of an AH Sprite national club. This subject comes up because both national AH clubs treat Sprites as offspring bastards. For instance I received the latest copy of "Healey Marque" today and a caption under a photo read "3 Healeys" the only problem the picture was of 4 cars parked. Yes 3 were "Healeys" but the fourth was my Bugeye. In my local chapter we (Sprites) are tolerated but most own one of each, i.e., a "Big Healey" and a Sprite.

Running a national club requires more than one person, even doing it full time. Dues would be necessary to support any level of effort. Putting out a mag or newsletter involves postage, printing, etc. Any "club" events requires insurance, manpower, etc. Look at what Ray English has to charge to just cover printing and postage. Not to long ago, there was an effort to publish a mag titled "Midgets & Sprites" by John Goethert which only lasted for a year before folding due to lack of subscriptions/interest. A "national" club might meet with the same disinterest.

There will be a 50th Sprite anniversary. It is already being worked on. It will be an extension of Rick Moses's every 5 year meets that have gone on. The committe hasn't picked a location yet but it will most likely not be in Pennsylvania as it has been in the past. The idea is if we move it more to the center of the USA we could get more to attend than in the past. At Sprite Spree '03 we had 40+ cars and many who complained that the location was too far for them to attend. Since Rick said he will be doing no more Sprite gatherings a committee will be doing "Sprite Jubilee" and it might be the last. Only time will tell.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby HAN5L778 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:37 am

Frogarri,
I had to look at the pictures in Healey Marque again, but I found the one you're talking about. Yep, your Bugeye is there plain as day! When I got the new 2006 calendar I was very disappointed that the only non-Big Healey was a Bugeye and it was for December, 2005! I emailed the editor as he put the calendar together about my concern over the lack of a Bugeye, or anything other than a Big Healey, in the calendar. His response, in so many words, was that my complaint was "trivial". A pretty typical Big Healey Owner's attitude toward Sprite owners.
I also agree that a Sprite Only, even to include Midgets, probably wouldn't get very far. Maybe we just have to develop a secret wave or handshake :roll: that's only used when meeting other Sorite owners. I guess I'll just, try to, keep my mouth shut when around Big Healey owners, then beat them at the gymkhana!
'69 Sprite-project with lots of trick parts.
'63 MGB waiting for restoration
HAN5L778
1098cc

Postby garyfrogeye » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:59 am

There is already a Midget & Sprite Club
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspriteclub/
It's great. as are it's members (many post here).
Why not a US branch of the Midget & Sprite Club?

Gary L
London area rep
Midget & Sprite Club
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby trevor » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:29 am

I've always been envious of the MASC in the UK. However, the geography in the US sort of limits how benificial such a club would be in the US. I live in a medium size city and we have a British car club of about 80 members. Yet, there are only 5 or 6 Midget/Sprites in the club.

But, I support the idea of a MASC chapter as Gary suggests. I would hate to feel like a stepchild just because I have a "dressed up" sprite (AKA Midget Mk III). I would most likely join a MASC chapter and support it.
trevor
1275cc

Postby Frogarri » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Gary,

Yes there is a MASC and a chapter(s) for the USA would be possible, but do to the dispersion of spridgets in the USA you would end up with many local chapters of 5-10 cars spread all over the place. Also the national MG club would probably take exception to the posibility of losing it's Midget members to another club. I guess it all boils down to the fact we are a "minority" and have to learn to live with the insults delivered by 'snob' owners of so called "real sports cars". Gotta laugh though when a Sprite takes FTD in the autocross with all the "big" Healeys following behind! Thats like when the Brits who came over for Open Roads at Lake Tahoe and were going to follow Route 50 coast to coast what car lead them to and from the starting line in Ocean, Maryland was my Bugeye! What a sight, a lone Bugeye leading a contingent of big Healeys. I got the privileged of leading as I was the only one familiar with all the scenic back roads to the starting line in Ocean City otherwise I would have been the last car.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby garyfrogeye » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:12 pm

I just wanted to say that if any of you would like to join us, we would be delighted to have you.
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Spridget Club

Postby spritegal » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:31 am

I think it would be great to look at starting an US/North America branch of the UK club. At the same time, the attitudes of the National Healey clubs may be slow to change, but in the local NW club I belong to, all Healeys, big and small are welcomed. The last tours we have run have had almost a fifth of the members in little Healeys. My box Sprite will be ready to go a little later this year and the other club members have been really supportive in the process of getting it roadworthy.
spritegal
Pit Crew

Postby UncleDoug » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:50 pm

To me, the hook would have to be greater than an invite to a rally in the middle of the country. I am pressed to make events here on the West Coast. (No trailer Queen)
Local drives/rallys on the other hand can be great fun, and coupled with similar autos make a terrific show for our hobby.
The benefits of AHCUSA include their very nice monthly publication, and,
in my opinion, a more important benefit. The registry book includes a highlight of those members who are willing (eager) to share assistance in resto info, emergency service and so on.
It seems that would be of value to members of a Sprite/Midget club, as neophytes often seem to "fall into" Midgets or Sprites as a first project. To those people, a listing of local wizards would be worth its weight in gold.
UncleDoug
948cc

Postby garyfrogeye » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:08 pm

You are correct UncleDoug,
That's why we have the "MAD" Mutual Assistance Directory, of members in every area who's assistance ranges from a cup of tea right through to use of tools and a garage and a bed for the night.
There is also The Midget and Sprite technical and general BBS.
http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5? ... subject=97
which probably gets 50 to 100 postings per day.
I might add that these boards complement Spritespot rather than compete with it.
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby D.Valentino » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:57 pm

1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino