Bugeye Body-Chassis Question

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to Bugeyes.

Bugeye Body-Chassis Question

Postby castlekeep » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:06 am

Hi, this is my first post question and I hope I don't offend any member(s). After reviewing MG Midgets/AH Sprites body and chassis stats, I was wondering if one could theorectically remove the Midget or Sprite (MK-II through MK-IV) front-end and rear-end body components and replace them with Bugeye body components for a near perfect fit? Has anybody done this before? I would really appreciate all serious responses.

Thank you,

Betty
castlekeep
Pit Crew

Postby D.Valentino » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:13 am

I have seen alot of people put a Bugeye bonnet on a MKII, not sure about the later models.
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Postby SpridgetBoy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:36 am

I have a Bugeye and a MkII. The best that I can tell on these "Roadsters"; the frame members, cowl, floor, doors, seats, dash, all suspension parts, and all running gear parts are pretty much the same. The only difference is the front and rear ends. The Bugeye has a few extra pieces up front for the hood to latch down correctly and the MkII front fenders have some holes for bolts and nuts to hold them on. The hood hinges even appear to be the same. Changing out the front ends would pretty much be a bolt on operation. Changing the rear panels is a different story. Being a mono frame, the body helps hold things square. You would have to brace the floor pan well before cutting the rear off to graft on the new pieces. I am not sure with the later "convertible coupes" with roll-up windows and half eliptic springs how much was changed. Later, SpridgetBoy
MkII Sprite since 1978
Bugeye since 1982
2 MkI Midgets (basket cases 4sale)
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby HAN5L778 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:18 pm

I saw this conversion to a later model chassis in a magazine, but it was quite a few years ago. I remember it because the owner was so proud that he had a bugeye with semi-eliptic rear springs. I would think that would take a lot of work because you would have to somehow brace the trunk floor for the rear spring mounts and do something about the side panel difference between side curtain and roll up window cars. As far as doing the rear body onto a Mk2 chassis, with quarter eliptic springs I'm planning on doing just that to a Mk2 I have with a rear clip left over from a rusted out bugeye I bought a few years ago. I could probably even get away with putting an AN5 number plate on it and very few people would know the difference, but I am planning on keeping the AN6 number on it. See how many people that will confuse!
Richard
'69 Sprite-project with lots of trick parts.
'63 MGB waiting for restoration
HAN5L778
1098cc

Postby Acmespeedshop » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:50 am

Spridgetech makes fiberglass noses and a one piece MKI fiberglass tail section to do just what you have in mind.
Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
Greenville, SC
http://www.acmespeedshop.com
Acmespeedshop
948cc

Postby trevor » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:39 pm

I saw those spridgetech pictures, do all the rear clips have flares, and do they make a street weight version?
trevor
1275cc

Return to MK I Sprite (Bugeye/Frogeye)