Gas Gauge Sending Unit

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to Bugeyes.

Gas Gauge Sending Unit

Postby NCfrogeye » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:05 pm

My gas gauge needle was stuck in one spot (about 1/4 full) but would zero out when the ignition switch was turned off. I suspected the sending unit was stuck, so I dropped the fuel tank and removed the sending unit. The float arm was indeed stuck, so I worked it back and forth by hand to free it up. So far so good. Then I decided to open the unit by removing the four screws on the top to view the variable resistor. I found the interior full of gas. Is this normal? Doesn't seem right to me. Gas seems to be entering via the bushing where the float arm passes through. I have no idea how to stop this leak without interfearing with the float movement. Other than that the sending unit works fine. Any suggestions?
On the road again after 20 years in boxes.
NCfrogeye
948cc

Postby Bugzy59 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:41 pm

I have taken a few of these apart and have not seen evidence of fuel. I would replace. Something about fuel, 12 volts and an open contact variable reistor which bothers me.
Bugzy59
1275cc

Postby Asolepius » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:23 am

I got a new sender from Moss and the fitting instructions said that the rheostat housing often fills with fuel and this doesn't matter. There is no seal around the float lever where it enters the housing. If it works OK, leave it as it is as a new sender is expensive.
1959 Sprite, owned since 1978
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby cdsmith » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:30 pm

I had the same concern about fuel "mixing" with electricity. A while back I posted these same concerns on another web page (British Car Forum" and got these replies from various people...

there is no inside "seal" at the pivot point. The sliding contact & the resistance winding are often operating in gasoline

theory is that there is too little current (typically 6 milliamps) flowing in the circuit to create a spark. It must be true. I've never heard of a gas gage blowing up a car.

another reason the sender never causes problems is that the fuel/air mix in the tank is way too rich to ignite. I like that low current explanation better!

nearly every car built today also has the electric fuel pump immersed in the gas tank, brushes and all, since it needs gasoline to help lubricate it and cool it. The gas gauge is a low current device, and not likely to spark, but since the mixture is much too rich to ignite it's not a problem

My car hasn't blown up..... yet.

cd
cdsmith
Pit Crew

Postby NCfrogeye » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks for the information. :) That's a relief, and one less thing I have to be concerned about.
On the road again after 20 years in boxes.
NCfrogeye
948cc

Return to MK I Sprite (Bugeye/Frogeye)