What color would you paint your Bugeye?

This forum is for topics and questions specifically related to Bugeyes.

What color would you paint your Bugeye?

Postby funflyer63 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Okay, I'm starting on an interesting project. I recently purchased a stripped bugeye in the middle of the restoration currently mounted to a rotisserie. The paint currently on the car was less-than-perfectly executed and I'll be doing a cleanup/respray while the car is in bits.

So, here's the million-dollar question: What color to paint the car?

I'm open to colors other than standard Sprite colors, although I think this chassis originally came in Cherry Red.

I'd like to stay away from yellow, beige and black and orange. British racing green is always a consideration, but I think since the car is so small, having a brighter color is an obvious advantage on more crowded roads.

I'm open to considering non-MG/AH colors. Dave from Bugeyeguy.com has dipped into the Aston-Martin pond; this is appropriately British and they do have good colors (sorry, colours). I looked at some and thought Frosted Glass Blue was interesting but on the cool end of the spectrum.

Porsche (although non-British) has some good colors on the high-end 911 variants. The 911 GTS Miami Blue is nice, but I'm not sure how it would translate onto the Bugeye.

So, again, the open question to the forum is this: If you could paint your Bugeye or Mark II+ Sprite or Midget ANY color (or colour) you want, what would it be?

Looking forward to thoughts and suggestions.
funflyer63
Pit Crew

Re: What color would you paint your Bugeye?

Postby hoggie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:01 pm

My 69 Midget was originally Mineral Blue. But it faded quickly and I repainted it a deep dark metallic blue (acrylic enamel 97 Ford truck deep metallic blue. Just a bit darker than the original paint but with metallic. I really liked it and it made the chrome trim stand out well. Since then I have added chrome wire wheels and it needs painting again after I repaired some rust damage. I'm still planning on using the Ford Bright Dark Blue Metallic 3n/6027. Just like the deep blue color.

http://www.spritespot.com/gallery/69-Midget-GAN4-Restoration/Picture_005
hoggie
1098cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:08 am

Don't care for orange? However, take a look at Inka (Inca?) orange, which was on BMWs of the early 1970s. Different.

My '63 Sprite was painted with 1974 Vega blue, medium blue, no metallic, fairly bright, with a hint of purple. Looked good. A picture of the car is somewhere in the SpriteSpot photo section.

The body on my '29 Ford was recently painted with a color from Infinity(?) cars from the early 2000s, with a PPG number of K-11 or K-51, whichever one is lighter. A pearlescent medium gray, with a clear coat. Fenders were painted with the other, darker, K number, which is a metalflake gray. Not period correct, but good basic colors for the car.

Wheatstone yellow, a GMC truck paint, probably from the 1980s, is a yellow color with a little orange. Ford trucks also had a very similar color, probably from the later 1980s. A friend of mine had the GMC color on his Bugeye.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby funflyer63 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:58 pm

hoggie wrote:My 69 Midget was originally Mineral Blue. But it faded quickly and I repainted it a deep dark metallic blue (acrylic enamel 97 Ford truck deep metallic blue. Just a bit darker than the original paint but with metallic. I really liked it and it made the chrome trim stand out well. Since then I have added chrome wire wheels and it needs painting again after I repaired some rust damage. I'm still planning on using the Ford Bright Dark Blue Metallic 3n/6027. Just like the deep blue color.

http://www.spritespot.com/gallery/69-Midget-GAN4-Restoration/Picture_005

I was looking at a deep metallic blue as well. There's a really nice bugeye in the customer pages of Dave's page in a color with a lot of depth. White stripes as well, I think; it's going for the Cobra look. Very nice, but I think I'm looking for something more visible and am thinking a shade of red now. I like the Cherry Red, but am interested in more paint depth and am thinking a candy color. I saw a picture of Dodge Stryker Red on one or two cars and it's pretty nice. Probably an expensive repaint, though.
funflyer63
Pit Crew

Postby funflyer63 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:01 am

Charlie Tolman wrote:Don't care for orange? However, take a look at Inka (Inca?) orange, which was on BMWs of the early 1970s. Different.

My '63 Sprite was painted with 1974 Vega blue, medium blue, no metallic, fairly bright, with a hint of purple. Looked good. A picture of the car is somewhere in the SpriteSpot photo section.

The body on my '29 Ford was recently painted with a color from Infinity(?) cars from the early 2000s, with a PPG number of K-11 or K-51, whichever one is lighter. A pearlescent medium gray, with a clear coat. Fenders were painted with the other, darker, K number, which is a metalflake gray. Not period correct, but good basic colors for the car.

Wheatstone yellow, a GMC truck paint, probably from the 1980s, is a yellow color with a little orange. Ford trucks also had a very similar color, probably from the later 1980s. A friend of mine had the GMC color on his Bugeye.

Charlie T.

Hey Charlie, I know that color; an old buddy of mine had a 2002 that was that shade of orange. There are some good shades out there, but I'm not partial to the color. The grays are good and can be accented / highlighted with good secondary color choices, but I'd rather go for a more striking base color. I drove a bright yellow Mini for about 10 years and don't want another yellow car. Thanks for the suggestions.
funflyer63
Pit Crew

Postby hoggie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:47 am

Have you searched google images for white bugeye sprites? Some of those whites look really good.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:44 am

How about Titian Red, a nice metallic red, used on mid-1950s Buicks.

It is now available in modern paints.

CT
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to MK I Sprite (Bugeye/Frogeye)