Garage Lifts - 4 or 2 post?

Have recommendations for tools or techniques helpful for restoration or repair?

Garage Lifts - 4 or 2 post?

Postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:44 pm

Buddy of mine is building a new house, and has convinced his wife that a double-high garage is a necessity. :)

He's now looking at lifts, and wondering about the pros and cons of 4 post lifts vs. 2 post lifts (or other options?)

Anyone care to offer opinions? At this point in the construction, I think he's able to install virtually anything. Unfortunately, neither he nor I have much experience with lifts.

He's more interested in being able to work on the cars than additional storage (so maybe a 2 post is better?) but storage may be a secondary use at some point?

He's primarily into Porsches...has a 1966 911 (quite an early 911 for what it's worth) and a 1988 944 Turbo (which while a street car, is also used for track days at Watkins Glen). He's also made noise about a few other Porsches to add to the collection from time to time...

"Tweaking" the race car is primarily what the lift will be used for, but also for mundane things like rotating tires, oil changes, etc.

So, the cars aren't monsters (in terms of weight) so the lift likely won't need to be huge...

Recommendations?
Comments?

Thanks!
d
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby trevor » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:19 pm

I vote for a two post. The majority of the time when my car is on jack stands, it is to do something that requires removing the wheels. Another option is a two post lift in one bay AND a four post in another bay.
trevor
1275cc

Re: Garage Lifts - 4 or 2 post?

Postby pbraun » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 pm

I have a Bend Pak 4 post lift and I love it. Solid construction, anchor it well and level and align everything before that and you're in slick city.

Drive up, drive down. Jack up on 4x4 and use a little hydraulic straight jack. whatever works. easy on, easy off. Manual lowering is good, air supply and 220 volts is better.
Peter

60 Bugeye, 63 Healey 3000, 65 Mini Moke
pbraun
Pit Crew

Return to Tools & Techniques