Suggestions carpeting Bugeye

Need advice on installation, materials, originality? Check in here.

Suggestions carpeting Bugeye

Postby KenR » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 am

I have a freshly done old english white Bugeye with the red interior. I have the Moss carpet kit which includes carpet to cover the "exposed" frame rail which passes under the occupant's knees. I also have the aluminum trim kit which is intended to cover up the exposed frame rail. I believe the aluminum trim is intended to be used with the original rubber mats..not sure if it was ever a factory item or an aftermarket trim item. I am definitely carpeting the interior. I think the exposed frame rais (old english white) would certainly show any marks on them. Would it look odd to use the aluminum trim kit with the rest carpeted? The color scheme on the car is original, but I've done little things like left the top dash aluminum exposed (not vinyl covered) and the 1275 with Datsun box means this isn't a restoration though I'm sure i could have done that for less $. Is anyone using the aluminum trim pieces in a carpeted car? Should I get them anodized clear so they hold up better (I assume they are not)?
thanks,
-Ken
KenR
948cc

Re: Suggestions carpeting Bugeye

Postby HAN5L778 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:33 am

Ken,
I had the aluminum covers on my Bugeye for 3-4 years and they held up quite well. Oh, there were some dents and scratches in them from use, but I didn't like the look of the painted rails.
Rick
'69 Sprite-project with lots of trick parts.
'63 MGB waiting for restoration
HAN5L778
1098cc

Re: Suggestions carpeting Bugeye

Postby Frogarri » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:24 pm

In my bugeye I have carpet and used the aluminum rail covers. My carpet is diy installation and the carpet was thin enough for the aluminum rail covers to fit over it. It is snug enough that the aluminum covers don't move around or rattle.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Return to Interior