Seat Foams and Covers

Need advice on installation, materials, originality? Check in here.

Seat Foams and Covers

Postby rbr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:45 am

I have a 59 Bugeye that has Pontiac Fiero seats. While they work well they just don't look right in my opinion. So, I'm going back to the original seats. I have a set of Seat Backs, frames, pans, sliders etc. What I don't have, it foams and seat covers. I haven't recovered a set of seats before. I could use some advice on where to get foams, covers, etc. Also, should I save myself the hassle and just take them to an upholsterer?

Currently, it looks like the best/most original deal going is the foams and covers from www.ahspares.co.uk. Any help, tips, advice appreciated.

Thanks
rbr
Pit Crew

Re: Seat Foams and Covers

Postby spritenut » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:47 pm

Check with the local upholstry shop. I have a guy who does it all for $150 a seat, sometimes he even makes new seat pans for a few bucks more.
And I can get any color and pattern I want from 2 tone with a 3rd color piping to original looking.
He does the seats for what the seat covers cost from the suppliers. He makes the covers himself, fits them and he once saw my Sprite with a seat he did 15 years ago and saw the rip (from the seat belt over time) He repaired it saying he guarantees his work. I asked for how long? I mean 15 years!
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby hpmowog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:12 am

Frank,

Is that his regular price, or is that with your volume discount? :mrgreen:
Karl Keiger
'62 Sprite
'60 Bugeye - Vintage Race Project
'65 Innocenti S - Vintage Race Project
hpmowog
948cc

Postby vagt6 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Frank has a good point about having the covers made. For example, Moss sells Midget seat covers for $399.95 plus shipping (includes squab and cushion covers). That ain't cheap.

For about the same cost, or less, I'll bet you can find a local upholstery shop that will do it from scratch. It will be hand-made and backed up by the shop's guarantee, AND, you'll spend the money locally (very important in these crappo economic times).

I had covers made for a couple of Triumph bucket seatss and the final cost was about 10% less than the usual retail suppliers. Better quality material and they looked better, too. Just like stock.

It's worth a try to see what's available in your area. You might be pleasantly surprised.

let us know . . .
vagt6
948cc

Postby whitephrog » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:08 am

Bought mine from AH Spares. Well pleased with the quality and price. Their red is a near perfect match to the original Cherry Red.
Ray Evans
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
AN5L 9382
whitephrog
1098cc

Return to Interior