Paint over undercoat?

Need advice on installation, materials, originality? Check in here.

Paint over undercoat?

Postby bdsmith21 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:38 am

Ive got a stripped bugeyed sprite and will soon be ready to apply paint and undercoat. Did original bugeyes have paint on top of the rubber undercoat? Also what areas were undercoated? I have "original sprite and midget" and have seen pictures of painted undercoat in the front wheel well but wonder if this is correct. Is there a book that would tell me these little details. I want to make my car as close to original as possible. What undercoating products are recomended?
bdsmith21
Pit Crew

Re: Paint over undercoat?

Postby Noel C » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:32 am

By rubber undercoat I asume you mean underseal,underwheel arches and underside of body etc.
I dont believe that any underseal was used in the factory,all surfaces were just painted body color.
Noel C
Pit Crew

Postby Frogarri » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 am

The only areas that had undercoat on them were the wheel arches and yes they were over painted body color. The undercoat in the arches was only a narrow band the width of the original tread width, i.e., about 3.5 to 4"s wide and was applied before the body was painted. The undercoat was of a tar like consistently. I have an original unmolested '62 Sprite and it has the original undercoat in the wheel arches.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby bdsmith21 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:25 pm

I found this in another thread posted by Healeynut

Hello,

According the the Austin-Healey Sprite Concours Standards... "The wheel wells of all Sprites were treated with undercoating. It was applied prior to final paint color application. This coating had a rough texture and was thick enough to be quite discernable. The undercoating was typically applied to the rearward vertical surface of the front wheel well as well as the majority of the rear wheel well. Additionally, the factory typically applied undercoating to the interior side of the floor boards, toe boards, rear wheel arches and rear quarter panels prior to final paint application. Typically, this material was not applied to other areas of the undercarriage."

My '67 Sprite had Seam sealer brushed on the bulkhead (Firewall) on both the engine compartment side and interior side prior to paint application. I don't recall witnessing any seam selaer where the front wing is affixed to the front cowl.

regards,

Healeynut

So I paint the car, undercoat it and then paint over the undercoat. What undercoat product should be used?
Now about seam sealer. I remember seing aprox 1" strips of it around the rear axle tunnel seams. Is that a different product than undercoating? Is it applied with a brush? The stuff on my car had a crisp straight edge, as if it was masked with tape before aplying and then the tape was removed. What seams were sealed?
bdsmith21
Pit Crew

Postby LittleRedMG » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 pm

as for the seam sealer i always use 3m, and it comes in a caulk tube. I just put it on and smooth the bead with my finger.
LittleRedMG
Pit Crew

Return to Interior