fabric paints

Need advice on installation, materials, originality? Check in here.

fabric paints

Postby drcush » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 am

Has anyone used fabric paint? Working on a bugeye - interior is in good shape but don't like the black color. I think a wine color will look good with the smoke silver paint job. Short on cash thus would like to avoid an expensive interior make over - at least for now. So - the question is - is this stuff as good as the retailers make it out to be?
drcush
Pit Crew

Re: fabric paints

Postby Frogarri » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Can't comment on "fabric paints" but i have used vinyl color paint on my seat and dash. It works good if you really clean the vinyl to remove any contaminates, otherwise it will lift. Has lasted for four years now. Don't do a top or tonneau as the flapping when you drive will cause it to flake off in spots.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby spritenut » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Good ole "interior in a spray can" Great stuff.
I have it in a car I owned for 10 years, the only part that showed any wear was the door check straps. Even the seats help up well painted in off white vinyl paint.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby healeynut » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:30 am

Hello,

I've had very good success with a vinyl paint marketed under the product name SEM. I acquired this product from a local PPG distributor.

For my application, I had four different colors custom blended to match original samples of:

- The vinyl used on the seats/dash/trim panels
- The contrasting seat piping
- The hardura that covers the wheel arches and boot area
- The door liner rubber mats.

In my case, I sprayed the raw materials and then had a local trim shop use the materials to fabricate my seat covers, trim panels and hardura wheel arches and boot mats, etc. I've had the interior in my car for 10 years now and it is holding up great. You would never know that the trim was sprayed unless I told you.

SEM recommends that you use their cleaning solvent before applying the vinyl paint. As you'll be applying the paint over your existing trim, I would suggest rigorous adhesion (pun intended) to their cleaning and application instructions.

Regards,

Brian
Brian Thornton
'60 Iris Blue Supercharged Sprite MKI
'67 Tartan Red Road n' Rally MKIV Sprite
healeynut
Pit Crew

Postby drcush » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:31 pm

Hey guys - thanks. I've found some stuff called Colorbond - also heard of SEM. I understand that both are good products. Colorbond also has a spray for the carpets.I'll update you on the results once I get it done. Thanks again....
drcush
Pit Crew

Return to Interior