[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Tonneau madness

Tonneau madness

Need advice on installation, materials, originality? Check in here.

Tonneau madness

Postby sprite63 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:30 am

Alright enough is enough. I've now bought about six tonneaus for my MKII Sprite and have learned the differences between MKIII (early and late), MKI and MK II tonneaus as a result, , and still haven't been able to come up with the right one. The last one was listed as being for MKII Sprite and specifically mentioned it won't fit Bugeyes. it was definatelely for a side curtain Sprite ( no cutouts for the quarterlight windows) but doesn't fit my MK II. According to a local Bugeye owner his bullets on the reardeck that the top and tonneau fit into are 26.5 inches apart, mine are 29.5inches, and on the tonneau I bought the slots are 28.8 center to center. Can some MKI and MK II own post the measurements center to center for the bullet mounts so I can get a census? Thanks,
sprite63
948cc

Postby trevor » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:15 pm

Why not just buy one without the fasteners, then place them where needed? It is a fairly straight forward process. Sorry, if I'm over simplifying the problem. (I have a '70 midget).
trevor
1275cc

Tonneau Madness

Postby sprite63 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:43 pm

Couple of reasons:
A. I'm too cheap to pay the $260 some odd price that Moss is asking

B. My car is not like new ergo a new tonneau would look out of place and make the car look tattier.

C. I'm too cheap

and finally,

D. I'm too cheap
sprite63
948cc

Postby trevor » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:50 pm

OK, fair enough. Is it possible that the car has had its fasteners placed in nonstandard locations by a PO? Is it possible to use one of the covers you have and only add a few additional fasteners (to the cover)? I wish I had a mk II sprite for comparison. :)
trevor
1275cc

tonneau madness

Postby sprite63 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:05 pm

No, can't just add fasteners. In addition to the slots for the bullet s being too close the distance between the the front most fasteners from one side to the othe (across the width of the car) is too short, ie. the tonneau is too narrow at that point by about an inch and a half.. Its possible a PO may have relocated the fasteners (although a used top I bought fits fine) so thats why I'm looking for some measurements from a few owners of MKI and II Sprites, and MKI Midgets
sprite63
948cc

Postby trevor » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:50 pm

Ah, I'm starting to get the picture. Well, good luck. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.
trevor
1275cc

Postby dan » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:31 am

Wonder if Frogarri has read this thread yet? (He's got an unmolested MK II that would likely be a good source for measurements). Maybe a PM would be helpful?

Brings up the question of whether BMC made some changes in the middle of a model year? Certainly possible (although you have to ask yourself why).

In any event, I'm with you on not spending $260 for a tonneau...gotta be a way to skin this cat...

d
dan
Site Admin

Postby Frogarri » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:12 pm

Sprite63 & Dan,
Yes I've seen this thread but I haven't had the energy to do some measurements. I have a spare tonneau RED for a Mk-II but it is packed away in my storage shed. My car is in the back corner of the garage and covered so access to it is minimal for measurements. I had this book marked to answer. I will try to get to it soon, I am working on my father in-laws car where it broke down on the road the last few days. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it going again and can get back to spridget stuff. For instance I have a show this Saturday and I need new tires on my trailer for 'Ole Gray'.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Re: Tonneau madness

Postby Paul H » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:52 am

1961 Sprite Mk2 (948cc, HAN6)
Paul H
948cc

Return to Interior