Steering Wheel Colors

Need advice on installation, materials, originality? Check in here.

Postby SpridgetBoy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:03 pm

My Bugeye is 49,000 and a few making it one of the last 500 1960's made. My MkII is 12,800 and a few making it an early 1962 model. I have the build sheet on it somewhere but don't remember the exact date right now. I have a MkI Midget GAN1L-6822 which was probably a late 1961 build and I also have GAN1L-285 making it the 185th midget off the line. It came originally with a RED steering wheel, horn button, and gear shift knob!!! Does anyone else have something else besides black in their car? I have never seen anything else. Later, SpridgetBoy
MkII Sprite since 1978
Bugeye since 1982
2 MkI Midgets (basket cases 4sale)
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:47 am

Red steering wheel (and horn button and shift knob)? That's unique...got a picture somewhere?

I didn't know they ever did anything other than black. I assume the original interior was red as well?

Wonder if they made other colors to match some of the other interiors?

d
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby SpridgetBoy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:01 pm

I have not heard of another one with anything but black and have been told that I was full of it several times by LBC experts. The car set outside uncovered for several years and the steering wheel is now warped and faded. It is now pink on the outside but cutting into it reveals the original red. The horn button was luckily in the trunk and is still in fair shape and definitely red. The PO said that the shift knob was red but couldn't find it anywhere. The engine and trany were out when I got it. There used to be a British car wreckng yard in the Denver area called Scotland Yard and they had lots of Spridgets but had never seen anything but black. I got a good used black wheel from them and was going to paint it with epoxy (same with a shift knob) to match the horn button and then just keep the old wheel in the trunk for varification. Marriage and family have kept me from working on the Midgets so I would like someone to buy them cheap if they are willing to restore this one. Later, SpridgetBoy
MkII Sprite since 1978
Bugeye since 1982
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:11 pm

Wonder if it was some kind of special...is the VIN a "standard" number?

Maybe a check with Heritage is in order?

d
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby Frogarri » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:41 pm

Midget Mk-I's up to GAN1/ 5000+ originally came with an "creamy white" steering wheel and horn center after that all were black. Even with the white wheel the shift lever handle was black. I've seen both the cream and black wheels, never a red one!
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby SpridgetBoy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:29 am

There is nothing special about any of the markings on the car. It is white with a red interior and red dash covering plus the red wheel, etc. I have never seen a cream wheel, but I haven't seen many old Midgets, mainly just my two. Later, SpridgetBoy
MkII Sprite since 1978
Bugeye since 1982
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby admin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:43 am

I took the liberty of splitting this topic from a previous thread...

The issue of steering wheel color I sent to Ray English. Here is his reply:

G'day Dan,

I have seen only one "coloured" (or as you lot say colored) steering wheel, it was red and black, I tried to buy it but the owner was not letting it go.

Sales Brochure - Publication No. 1590/B shows steering wheel in black with white spokes.

I also have a pre release brochure which shows (B&W photo) the spokes in a lighter colour.

Preliminary List of Service Parts AKD 829 (dated 1/58) only list one part number, but then it is more about stock items for dealers.

The Workshop Manual issue 1 Part Number 97H1585B clearly shows a two tone steering wheel.

Mechanical Service Parts List AKD3566 lists three steering wheels, however two of them are listed as MG Midget.

Austin-Healey Sprite "Running and maintenance instructions" booklet Bub No. 97H1583 April 1958 shows two tone steering wheel.

Happy Spriteing,
Ray

So, it seems that there's enough evidence that there were some "alternative" wheels besides black. The two-tone wheels sound very interesting (I'm hoping Ray can eventually get us a picture).

Ray references a "red and black" wheel--was yours completely red SpridgetBoy, or was it two tone?

Very interesting!
d
admin
Site Admin

Postby SpridgetBoy » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:53 am

Dan, The wheel in question set outdoors for years in the elements (no top on the car) until the car was pasted on to me. The wheel is in very bad condition (I will try to get a picture) but is red; actually pink on the outside right now from weather. Scratching into the plastic reveals the true red color but I haven't checked to see if it is two-toned. I am keeping the wheel with the car for now incase someone wants to buy the car (cheap) to restore it and needs to know the original color (got your other E-mail). I will let you know when I get a picture. Later, SpridgetBoy
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby garyfrogeye » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:52 pm

I told you Ray knows all about Sprites!
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
http://frogeye.smugmug.com/
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby dan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:15 am

garyfrogeye wrote:I told you Ray knows all about Sprites!

Agreed!

What a resource--to be able to have access to all the original references is amazing!

Someday I'm going to make it to the other side of the world and look Ray up for a visit! :)
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby dan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:29 am

Here's a scanned photo from Ray showing a multi-color steering wheel:

Certainly not all red, but it does suggest that BMC was at some point looking at alternatives to the all black design.

I like it, at least on a white car (and it reminds me of how much I really like the red interiors with the white cars).

Now that's a good subject for another poll...

d
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby garyfrogeye » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:24 pm

I wonder how much that wheel would go for if it came up on ebay.
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
http://frogeye.smugmug.com/
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby Paul H » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:46 am

garyfrogeye wrote:I wonder how much that wheel would go for if it came up on ebay.

Far too much!! Even a standard (ie one colour) wheel like that can be as much as £150 if in good order! :shock: Also, when they are rebuilt, most are painted, so adding the different colour wouldn't be tricky....

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than about £75 for the normal wheel, based purely on photos - for £150, I would want to examine it very closely, to see if it has been repaired, and if so, how well etc.
1961 Sprite Mk2 (948cc, HAN6)
Paul H
948cc

'61 Midget Steering Wheel

Postby Frogarri » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:36 pm

Here is a picture of an original '61/'62 early Midget steering wheel. While it is in poor condition from being expoused to the elements and is fade to almost pure white, it is an example of what they looked like.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Steering Wheel Colors

Postby TimothyMit » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:04 pm

We have been looking high and low for a steering wheel cover that fits. Everything we have found so far is too big. Anyone know of a brand that will fit?

Thanks,
TimothyMit
Pit Crew

Next

Return to Interior