[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Pranged it!

Pranged it!

Have a good motoring story you'd like to share?

Pranged it!

Postby mattvallins » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:17 am

Its amazing how big a dent a Midget can make in a Landrover! I had no back end left on my car, and he had his inner wheel arch rubbing on the wheel!
mattvallins
Pit Crew

Postby garyfrogeye » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:55 pm

Sorry to hear that.
Are you ok.

What are you going to do?
Gary L
1958 Frogeye
London, England.
garyfrogeye
1098cc

Postby mg freak » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:46 pm

Sorry to hear about your shunt. Hope all is well...
1962 MG Midget
mg freak
948cc

Postby mattvallins » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:11 pm

Checked the car over now, the only straight panel on the body is the drivers door! The boot (trunk) has gone entirely. I will need a grinder to get the stuff out, theres a half shaft in there somewhere! The amount of filler that fell out was incredible, and there was no evidence of any on the outside. I think the sills were not welded in properly, as they peeled away like cardboard. It would have been hard to do a good weld though, as they were covering the huge holes in the chassis, only seen when the sills are off!
I have survived without ANY injury, but I now have photos and might post one on my pics page for a few days!
mattvallins
Pit Crew

Postby Paul H » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:54 am

Matt, glad to hear that you are ok!

I've just seen the 'after' pics you posted in the albums section..... :shock:

Any plans for the car? (Looks like an ideal candidate for a reshell)
1961 Sprite Mk2 (948cc, HAN6)
Paul H
948cc

Postby mattvallins » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:55 am

It would need more than a re-shell! The chassis was twisted by the Discovery that hit me side-on. Underneath the outer sills, there was no metal for them to be welded to! If anyone knows about how the sills are supposed to be attatched, it'd be good to hear from you. I dont think this car should have been declared safe with the sills attatched as poorly as they were.
After I have cleared everything up, either I would accept cash for the wreck or the remnants will be taken off and sold on ebay or through an MG Owners club nearby.
mattvallins
Pit Crew

Postby SpridgetBoy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:09 pm

Glad you are alright. Did you post some pictures? I looked through the album but didn't see any. Anyway, I don't know what year your car was, but I have two MkI's that are mostly there, never restored, but some work started by PO's. I will sale one or both cheap to someone who wants to get them running again. I have just been storing them for years and the way I'm going on my Sprites, I will probably never get to them. You can do up a body, install your interior and running gear and be on the road again. Later, SpridgetBoy
MkII Sprite since 1978
Bugeye since 1982
2 MkI Midgets (basket cases 4sale)
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby mattvallins » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:50 am

The 2 worst pictures are on page 2 of my gallery, Midget PTO. I would be very tempted by your Midgets, but I am in the UK so it would cost thpusands to get it here and registered.
mattvallins
Pit Crew

Postby SpridgetBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:51 pm

Sorry, Didn't know you where on the Frogeye side of the pond. There was no location listed in your name block. I also see you have 1500 stuff for sale so my early bodies might not do you much good anyway. Hope you do find another suitable LBC; they are so much fun to drive. Later, SpridgetBoy
MkII Sprite since 1978
Bugeye since 1982
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby mattvallins » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:48 am

Sadly, cos it was not avoidable but technically my fault, I cant get insurance for another 4 or 5 years: I am 19, this was the only car I could get insured on for a reasonable sum of money as it is. It was costing 1000 pounds a year. Now you can easily double that.
mattvallins
Pit Crew

Postby SpridgetBoy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Ouch! That last revelation has to hurt worse than losing the car. Hope all works out eventually for you. Later, SpridgetBoy
MkII Sprite since 1978
Bugeye since 1982
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Postby mattvallins » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:12 am

I am looking at getting a boring little European box, like a subaru justy or something. All I can afford to insure. Its not a surprise to me that about 20% of UK drivers are uninsured!
mattvallins
Pit Crew

Postby dan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:59 pm

All I can say is that after looking at the pictures, I'm glad you're ok:

As for the insurance issue, I feel your pain...it really is sad, especially for young single males.

d
dan
Site Admin

Postby mattvallins » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:18 am

mattvallins
Pit Crew

Postby dan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:38 am

dan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stories