[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - What's the dumbest thing?

What's the dumbest thing?

Have a good motoring story you'd like to share?

What's the dumbest thing?

Postby dan » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:59 am

Ok, got this idea from another post:

Q: What's the dumbest thing that's ever happened to you, or that you've done in a Sprite?

This can be a ticket you received, a stunt you pulled that deserved a ticket :) or just something silly.

Let's hear some of the stories!

d
dan
Site Admin

Postby dan » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:07 am

Guess I'll start...

I used to enjoy driving on the campus of the University at Buffalo (when I was going to school there). They had a number of roads with little traffic, new pavement, and "significant" turns. :)

I was going home early on a Sunday morning (I'd just had to stop in to check a research project) and was driving in a "spirited" fashion when I saw the flashing lights and pulled over.

Seems a campus security officer had witnessed a four-wheel drift on one of my favorite corners (interesting that it was probably 2 miles behind where he'd stopped me...wonder how I got so far ahead of him :oops: )

In any event, when he stopped me I received not a speeding ticket, but one for "driving at an unsafe and imprudent speed". You see, since the posted limit was 35 mph, I wasn't speeding--it just seems that he didn't like the fact I was doing 35 mph SIDEWAYS through a turn.

Unfortunately, he didn't accept my logic that I wasn't technically speeding, and gave me the ticket anyway. Some people never get a break...

:)

d
dan
Site Admin

warning

Postby Darryl S » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:25 pm

I took my Bugeye down to the Camel GT race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I worked F&C for the qualifying and race on Saturday. After the day's events were over, I left going out one of the back roads over to the interstate to go home. At the very end just before the interstate,the road makes a hard right then a hard left to a stop sign at a convenience store. Driving like a young 20 year old would, the Bugeye went into a 4 wheel drift through the hard right hander. When I looked to the next corner, there were 3 North Carolina State troopers standing there. One motioned me to stop and bent down and just said "Slow that thing down". BOY I got lucky.
Darryl S.
SCCA GP 1965 Sprite
SCCA Solo II 1975 Midget
1970 Midget
1960 Bugeye
1979 Midget
Darryl S
948cc

Postby dan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:21 am

dan
Site Admin

Postby SpridgetBoy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:37 pm

My favorite trick when driving my MkII Sprite is to do the speed limit on a winding road and wait for some young know-it-all in his little tricked out modern jelly bean to pull up behind in a straight looking to pass. When the warning sign comes up for the next tight turn, I never lift and then punch it some through the middle to see how far ahead I can get when the young gun chickens out and pounds his brakes going in. Usually I can drop back to the speed limit and have them fly up behind just as the next turn comes and they pound the brakes again. I have done this before through several corners with the young gun gettiing madder each time until a long straight comes up and I get passed still doing the speed limit. But then I tailgate him through the next turn to let him know that he can't really drive and his machine is all looks. My MkII is "original" on the outside but everything underneath is in top shape, so the scruffy look makes the other driver even madder. Later, SpridgetBoy
SpridgetBoy
1098cc

Dumbest Thing Done in a Sprite (Long)

Postby fastvee » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:09 am

It's not easy to choose the dumbest story, but this one is notable. My 62 Sprite race car was originally a PA hillclimb car owned by Ron Steber out of Hazleton PA. I purchased the car from Ron around 1979 and one of the things that he gave me was a set of beryllium wrist pins for a 948 that came with a long and interesting story. There was a Beryllium factory in Hazelton where many of the local men worked machining parts of this "Unobtainium", and one of them had machined these wrist pins as a "Government Job" for Ron. The story goes that some of the famous professional racers of the day, such as Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt visited there, and had trick stuff done for their race cars. I learned that beryllium is 1/4 the weight of steel and just as strong, and in this game where we go to great lengths to save a few grams, these wrist pins were tens of grams lighter than the stock pins, and was going to be my new secret weapon. I built my 4th new engine in 1984 with the best of everything including my secret weapon, and headed off to the test day for the Summit Point national race. This engine felt so crisp right out of the box that it was hard to hold back waiting for a good warmup and ring seating. I was flying by some well driven cars and it was so sweet coming off the turns, for four laps that is, until a wrist pin sheared off and turned most of the new engine to a pile of scrap. The designer must have worked from the "Ancient Book of Miscalculations", and I bought it hook, line and sinker. Reading a bit deeper I learned that while beryllium is indeed the same strength as steel in tension, it is only a fraction of steel's strength in shear, and it galls very easily when in contact with stronger materials. Exactly what you don't want to use for a wrist pin. I don't mind talking about it because there is a group of friends that are never going to let me forget it anyway! BTW, the beryllium factory is now a Super Fund site awaiting cleanup, and many who worked there lost their lives to overexposure to the poisonous dust.
John
67 MG Midget, Resto Project
74 MG Midget, Driver
62 A.H. Sprite, SCCA H/P
fastvee
Pit Crew

Postby Bill Masquelier » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:43 pm

Back in my college days I had a stock MkII and a little sailboat. Having only one motor vehicle I put a tow hitch on the Sprite and successfully towed the boat to the water many times. One day I bought a dead MGB and had to get it home. I borrowed my brother's car trailer, drove to the shopping center where the dead B was (it was on a pretty good slope), parked the Sprite and trailer in front of the B (facing downhill), put out the ramps, hooked up the come-along and began to winch it on. Soon the whole assembly began rolling downhill since the weight of the B on the back of the trailer had picked-up the front of the trailer and the back of the Sprite and my parking brake was not too effective!! I ran back to the B and pulled on ITS parking brake (which thank God DID work) and proceeded to winch the trailer/Sprite combination back up hill and under the B. Fortunately the trip home was far less eventful.
Bill
69 Sprite MkIV
Bill Masquelier
1098cc

VIN Numbers

Postby cclabaw » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:35 pm

I purchased my '67 Sprite from a luck-less young man going through a divorce. The car registration had not been renewed since it could not pass California smog testing. The owner used to take the car out at night "just cuz he loved it so much." He was stopped by the local cop and when asked to show the VIN so that the cop could match it to the old registration slip, was unable to find it. Since it was late night, he was thrown in jail, charged with Grand Theft Auto, and the car towed to the station. The next morning, the shift Sergeant arrived and showed him where the VIN was located (right shock tower) and released him with a ticket for driving on expired plates.

By the time I found the car, Calfornia had passed the "old car" exemption for '73 and earlier vehicles and is now registered and undergoing rebuild/ restoration.
Clay L.
'67 Sprite
cclabaw
Pit Crew

Postby ccootsona » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:02 pm

I forgot to reattach the throttle return springs on the carb linkage! The engine fired up and the weight of the pedal dropped it to the floor. It kept on revving right up to the red line. Fortunately I was able to hit the ignition switch at about 6000 RPM but a second later may have been too late. Sometimes the smallest details make a big difference

Cheers
Craig Cootsona
1959 Bugeye Sprite, 1275, 5-speed
1957 MGA Coupe (in progress)
1977 MGB
Tacoma, WA
ccootsona
948cc

Postby Ray McCaleb » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:31 pm

I rolled my '65 Midget (first car) in 1968 while in high school. Rain, curve, tire blew out (right rear). The car got sideways and slid UP the banked curve I was going into. Just as it was about to stop the rim (as in blown tire rim...I'm now almost backward) went off the pavement and dug into the shoulder. It was like slow motion as the car did a single roll down the embankment and into the ditch. The driver's seat broke loose from the floor, didn't have seat belts back then, so as it went over I grabbed under the seat and held on...that's when the seat rails let go; when there's only a thin convertible top between your head and the pavement...

I came to in the back seat of a land yacht with the driver asking me where I lived...I told him (big mistake)...he took me home. I walked in and told my parents and older brother what happened; older brother throws me into his car and heads back to the crime scene, all the while saying "You better hope the cops aren't there yet"...they were...in the rain...with flashlights...trying to "find the body".
'73 Midget (show)
'60 TR3A (driver)
'60 Bugeye (vintage racer)
'62 Sprite (future project)
ray@raysmg.com
http://www.raysmg.com
Ray McCaleb
Pit Crew

Postby D.Valentino » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:24 pm

Don't know if it's the dumbest things, maybe the craziest things. This guy came up to me at a car show and told he had sex with his girlfriend (now wife) for the first time in a Bugeye :shock: So, I had to ask, How did you manage that? She was sitting in the passenger seat he was knealing in front of her, he said the only problem was the marks left on his knees from the rubber mats :lol: I guess it was okay, she ended up marrying him.
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Postby dan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:15 pm

dan
Site Admin

Postby MGDave » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:14 pm

Dan,
That was a topic nearly 10 years ago at mgcars.org. Interestingly enough, it ran on both the Midget and the MGB pages, but the MGB owners were all convinced that it couldn't be done while the Midget owners were full of stories about having done it. Go figure.
MGDave
948cc

Postby Frogarri » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:39 pm

It is more than 'possible'.
BTDT
All it takes is a little forethought. Remove the passenger seat from it's tracks, place it on the ground next to the car, spread a few blankets from the boot on the floor and you have all the room you need! I know for a fact it works for a Bugeye as well as a TR3.
Now a "Big" Healey and a Corvette requires a little different approach (from the rear) but just watch out for the gear knob and the top bow stays. Never figured out a way in the 140 Jag.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby D.Valentino » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:48 am

Alright Frogarri, You thought way to much about this :lol:
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van