MG Urban Legend?

Have a great Lucas joke? Post it here

MG Urban Legend?

Postby dan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:36 am

Ok, heard this story many moons ago...even if it's not true, it makes for a good tale:

Seems an owner of an MGB (as I'd heard the story) had his car develop a poorly running engine not too long after purchase. Went to the dealer, where they found a badly burned valve.

Turns out the engine needed a rebuild because during assembly, an exhaust valve was mistakenly put into an intake valve guide.

:shock:

Of course, the owner and dealer tried to send this in as a manufacturing defect under warantee.

British Leyland's response was to not cover the warrantee claim. They reasoned that the engine ran long enough to make it through the warrantee period (likely 12 months/12,000 miles at that time), and therefore they weren't responsible.

:lol:

Now, as I said it certainly makes a good story, and a good dig at the quality of British cars (which is the standing joke) as well as the poor reputation B-L had for support. But does anyone know if this is REALLY true?
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:42 pm

Turns out the engine needed a rebuild

wouldnt it just need a head rebuilt??
Matt
948cc

Postby markwemple » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:14 pm

NOt sure if that's true but, as the only FIAT owner in a British car club (years ago in Ithaca) they'd have me run in the back to help the broken down stragglers. There was a guy with a TR3 that had to do his rear brakes about 1/2 way through any given even, no matter how short it was. So I wouldn't put ti past B-L.

Aren't we glad we've has 40 years to get these cars properly sorted!
markwemple
948cc

Return to Humor