Source for window seal?

Questions on what fits, originality, restoration? Check out this forum!

Source for window seal?

Postby dan » Sat May 29, 2004 9:51 am

I've been looking for this for quite a while, and thought I'd ask the group.

I have an original Bugeye hardtop, in pretty decent condition. However, the rear window rubber seal is starting to show its age. It's not yet at the stage where it HAS to be replaced, but sometime in the future I can see it'll be on my list of things to do.

For a few years now, I've been looking for that seal, and I've yet to find it.

Does anyone know if there's a cross-reference to another vehicle, or some reference for the window seal? It'd be even better if someone knew where it could be purchased!

If that's not an option, is anyone familiar with any firms that would make such a seal? If so, any ideas as to the process? (I could even make mine available as a sample, if need be)

Any help appreciated!
dan
Site Admin

Rear window gasket

Postby Sprite63 » Sun May 30, 2004 12:43 pm

I ordered one from frogeye Spares and was not happy with it as it was nothing like the originall. I went to a local auto glass installer and they were able to match the gasket exactly. It was the last place I thought to try but should have been an obvious place to try.
Good luck
Sprite63

Postby dan » Mon May 31, 2004 10:16 am

Interesting...do you have any contact information (phone or address) or better yet a manufacturer name and/or part number?

Thanks!
Dan
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Gasket

Postby sprite63 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:58 am

Sorry I don't have manufacturer or part # . I'm sure if you took a sample of the old gasket around to a few glass shops they could match it. I didn't want to take the chance of breaking the impossible to find rear glass window so had them install it as well. Cost me about $100 but money well spent in my opinion.

BTW, I also ordered a new hardtop to body gasket from Frogeye and was less than happy with that as well. I ended up using a draft excluder gasket from Moss Motors that I saw in there display case here in Jersey. Not sure what the model # was but if you send me your address I can mail you a short piece. If you like it I can probably get the part number from Moss. They are about 5 miles down the road from me.

Another tip.. if you are into original looking parts, the chrome wing nuts used on the rear hardtop brackets are available from AH Spares in UK. Look at the big Healey side curtain hardware pages, the wing nuts are used to fix the side curtains to the doors. I have an extra pair if you are interested.. $15 plus shipping. There is a picture on my MSN group site under Mystery hardware.

http://groups.msn.com/swiftturbo
sprite63
948cc

Postby Herbytoy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:39 pm

For original hardtop seals and parts try Bolt-On Healeys (Bill Bolton), Tricarb@aol.com, PH: 541-895-5576, FX: 541-895-4091. This info is about 1-2 years old so don't if any has changed. He gave me quote back then but I'm not in a position to restore my top yet. Mines missing the back window so if anyone has a source for that let me know. :D
Herbytoy
948cc

Postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:57 pm

The rear window I understand to be an issue...wonder if anyone has a substitute?

I'd be willing to consider using mine as a template, if someone knows the right person or firm to remanufacturer these.

d
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:03 pm

Is it just a flat piece of glass???

if not you could use plexi glass, you can bend that with a got air gun...
Matt
948cc

Postby Herbytoy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:26 pm

It is a factory Bugeye hardtop so yes it is curved. Plexi is the solution I'm probably going to use. I have a local supplier that can do it i just want to make sure it's the correct size and shape. I need to get a window seal (JCW?) first. Well actually I need to refinish it first but it's not high on the priority list right now.
Herbytoy
948cc

Return to Hardtops